1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IEM back cord issues

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BassPlayer99, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hey all.. I play in a worship band at my local church. I have IEMs but do not have a wireless setup which leaves me with connecting my IEMs to a cord that then runs to the board. I have that dreaded issue with stepping on the cord, thus disconnecting it. I've done it once live which SUCKED, but I've done it a lot during practice. So what I do is loop the cable through my belt loop so that it doesn't disconnect if I step on it.

However, it takes a good 10-15 seconds for me to unloop and disconnect when the set is over and I'm always the last one to leave the stage.

Is there anything that I can buy that can help me with this situation until I can get the $800 in cash to buy a wireless system? Or is there any tricks of the trade that you can suggest?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I always loop my bass cable from the instrument output jack over the strap button b/w instrument and strap. A cable for wired IEMs can piggyback. That way, you just unplug your IEMs from the end of the earphone extension cable looped over your strap button, put your bass on your stand (earphones extension cable still looped b/w strap and bass), and head offstage.

Taken to the next step, you can buy—or roll your own—combination instrument/earphone extension cable.

BassPlayer99 likes this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    At church - I double-loop the headphone extension cable - from the Aviom/Behringer units - thru my belt loop, and run the IEM cable down my back (inside my shirt) and either stuff the jack in my back pocket or let it hang.
    That way I can put on, adjust, or take off my the bass without impacting my IEM's.
    IEM's go on first.. bass last. Bass off first.
    And yes, like @derrico1 I loop the instrument cable up and over the strap button and down into the instrument jack.
    We don't move much.. :)

For secular gigs I'm completely wireless.

BassPlayer99 likes this.
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The loop-in-pocket move is a good one, b/c if you move around some you get a little physical feedback as warning before you run out of slack.

s0c9 likes this.
  5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I had a custom cable made by DG Custom Cables, which pairs my instrument cable to my headphone cable. The instrument cable loops over the strap/button, and I usually run the jack of the headphone cable though the spare hole on my guitar strap. It's a tidy set-up, and it's always easy to find the headphone jack. Much higher quality than RadioShack/Hosa cables too, IMO.

cable_zpsqgqiewvj.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    74hc, s0c9, DONZI97 and 1 other person like this.