1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If anyone would care to throw a bone to a newb...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by breakHARD77, May 6, 2010.

1. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    ...it would be much appreciated!

I've been messing with the same ghetto Mexican P-bass for years now, and (spurred on by the breakdown of my old amp), I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrade.

The two main styles of music that I play are punk rock (Blink-182, Paramore, etc.) and Christian rock (Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent bass that isn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg to buy? Preferably sub-$300.

I'm currently debating whether I should get the Epifani PS-600. Would it be a waste to buy such a nice head while having a run-of-the-mill bass that this price range would get me?

Thanks again, guys. This seems like a great community of musicians!

2. Starky

Starky

Apr 20, 2010
    Potomac MD
    Are you asking for us to recommend a Bass or an Amp Head?

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Have you ever had your bass set up? If not, it will feel like a whole new instrument.

4. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Stuff in the sub-$300 range won't be much if at all better than your P, assuming it works and it's set up correctly.

5. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    A bass, please. Though an amp head suggestion would also be appreciated. :)

I was actually considering it, but the thing I have right now is just an absolute piece of junk. I'd rather just buy something fresh.

6. anthonymcfadden

anthonymcfadden

Aug 23, 2009
    ya if you wanna get another bass, upgrade! sub 300$ bass wont get you much better tone, but for 300 bucks i find schecter stiletto extremes nice as well as ibanez sr300's

7. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    Found a nice SR500 at a decent price: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1705657827.html

Thanks for all your input!

8. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Unless there's something wrong with your P-bass I wouldn't go looking for a <$300 bass. You didn't mention what kind of amp broke down on you, but spending your money on a nice amp will pay more aural dividends than getting a bass that likely won't be any better than what you already have.

9. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario