1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

IF LEO FENDER WERE ALIVE....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alan Scharrer, Aug 11, 2018.

1. If Leo "the true inventor of the electric bass" Fender were alive today, which of his bass creations would he be most proud? I own a 74 P Bass, G+L 2000 and 2500 and Musicman Bongo( I know NOT HIS) and love them all but Leo has to pick one model. Would it be the P Bass, Tele, J, Stingray or one of the G+L models? OR...would he gravitate to a non-Fender creation? Hmmmmmmmm.....

GreyEagle and Ghastly like this.
  2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Precision

Unknown.

MarkJC8, rodl2005, Pdaddy1978 and 6 others like this.
  3. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    My vote
    G&L all day everyday
    Duke

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm sure Leo would find his most recent creations to be the best. He always did.

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Agreed but if he HAD to pick one that was the most siginificant/ historical, I would guess No Caster, Broadcaster (later named the Telecaster), or Esquier

Stingray was kinda original for the time

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Aside sorry for the derail. Why the name "caster", was it like "broadcaster"?

7. Vertigo Jones

Vertigo Jones

Jun 13, 2013
    If Leo were alive today he’d be 109 years old as of yesterday. Happy Birthday Mr. Fender!

To answer your question: most likely whichever he made most recently.

Artman, rodl2005, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    <insert dad joke about him saying “let me out of this box!” here>

kesslari, MonetBass, Gaolee and 11 others like this.
  9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If Leo were alive he would be 109 years old. He would probably not be designing anything. Gotta love what he left us though. If all he did was invent the Pbass, he would be the greatest bass guitar designer that ever lived. Obviously the list is much longer than just pbasses and Fender Guitars. His designs endure .

TinIndian and Atshen like this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    ^This.

11. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    ^ This...He was always trying to improve and build-upon his work so he would more than likely think his latest ideas were his best

jamro217 and jd56hawk like this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, we all know how he feels about the L2000.

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    No Caster History
    What is a Nocaster?

Just think how bright the basses would be if he was still building now
    They'd have to be called trebles and not basses

Amazing that the Tele, Stratocaster,and the Les Paul (as well as all the variants) are still by far the most used and influential guitars ever made; we have built some incredible things over the last 60 years but the best designs were from a long time ago

14. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    Just an uneducated guess..
    Leo came worked on radios before Fender. Something to do with broadcasting radio and tv? Broadcaster, Telecaster....And the space race...Stratocaster.

Just guessing.

15. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks, sounds likely, I suppose everything back then was this brave new world, even furniture was space inspired

StereoPlayer likes this.
  16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Things that were broadcast could be heard far away. So can an electric guitar, compared to an acoustic. That was essentially his logic, according to some interviews I've read.

17. Telecaster of course. It's still the greatest electric guitar ever made. After all those years, after all those innovations, after all those hardware upgrades, after all those tone wood discoveries, after every single thing that has been discovered or created or changed since the invention of the telecaster, there is still no greater alternative for a Fender Telecaster. Then, I'd say the Precision bass. It paved the way for an entire category of intruments.

Bassbeater and flyingfinbar like this.
  18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The Telecaster is a great guitar, it was one of my first electric guitars almost 50 years ago and the first instrument I used for bass lines using the "snubbed" neck pickup setting and flats. In fact, my most recent bass builds use a Telecaster guitar body.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Every time Fender was asked what his favorite thing was he had invented his answer was always the most recent new model that had gone on sale. He thought each and every one was an improvement on the one before.

20. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    What would be really interesting would be to see where he went with bass design, given some major developments in the electronics/design elements as of relatively late.

Alan Scharrer likes this.