1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you had to sell one....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jfunk, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jfunk

jfunk

Oct 14, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ok, here's my situation. I need some help.
    I've got 3 basses. I can't afford to keep all 3. One of them is a '64 P bass. That one is not an option to sell.

So, my other two basses are:
    1) Modulus Q6 with Chechen fretboard, bartolini pups, and bart 3 band preamp and;
    2) a passive Lakland USA JO 4 string with Alder body, rosewood fretboard, and Fralin pups.

I can't sell the '64 for obvious reasons. It's precious and irreplaceable.
    I love the '64 but I don't like taking to dirty bars full of drunk people. Plus I've got flats on it so although it's tone is awesome, it's not very flexible.

So then my option would be the JO or the Q6. The Q6 doesn't give me the option of an old vintage tone like the JO does but the Q6 can handle more aggresive styles and has the option of the low B (i don't need the high C, it's just fun). I play a range of music from background jazz to funk to folk to rock.

What would you sell?

2. I would sell Modulus, because i am biased to Laklands, they are amazing

3. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well it seems to me that you'd want to keep the more versatile of the two. Which is more versatile for the genres you specified?

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Both.

5. You can always do without 6 strings but i enjoy having them. If the B and C strings aren't getting much play drop the modulus and rock the lakland.

6. jfunk

jfunk

Oct 14, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks Fenderhutz. :meh:

Anyone else?

7. Sell the Lakland (to me, of course!) and keep the Modulus. Really, it depends on what you play - or what you'd like to be moving into. Keep a little tally sheet - and be honest - of how often you play each one. I have a MM Sterling - I love it but I know I never play it.

8. A '64 P and a USA Joe Osborn.. personally, I'd be hard-pressed to name a two-bass arsenal I'd rather have. Sell the Modulus.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Modulus and JO are almost polar opposites in the world of solid-bodied basses, so that's a tough call. No question I'd keep the JO, but that's just my personal preference.

If you'd really miss the low B on the Modulus, maybe you should sell both, and get a five string J-type. If you did this, and bought a new American Standard Fender Jazz V, you'd generate even more cash than by selling just one. (I'm assuming the Modulus and JO would each sell for more than the typical price of the Jazz V.) And the 2008 Jazz V is a phenomenal bass.

10. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    call me the odd ball but keep the Modulus, Pickup a cheap MIM or even a Squier Vintage Modified with the proceeds of the JO..

The JO although a great bass is easily replaced, where as the modulus 6 is not the easiest to find on the used market.

My 2 cents

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Modulus

12. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Sell the Modulus. Then you'll have the ultimate in P- and J-basses.
    Lakland RULES!

(Also, six strings are for guitars.)

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You already have a similar-style bass in the P to the JO.
    The Modulus gives you everything else and more.

Plus, the chechen fretboards make those things schweet! Trust me, I know! ;)

14. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    To the OP, what he said (points up).

A Squier VM jazz would be a great workhorse to replace the Lakland and you can still have three basses that each represent a different style.

15. Modulus

16. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Keep the Modulus. That will give you a lot of flexibility, plus it's easy to find an affordable 4-string J if you need one, a six string not so much.

17. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Puh-leeze! That's like saying you could replace your Ferrari with a Kia.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say sell both and get a Fender Jazz V or JO5.

19. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Nothing against Lakland, but the guy wants a bass he can take to bars without worrying about it, and even if it's a (perceived) drop in sound quality, a Squier could in theory do the same job as a Lakland.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm with fenderhutz.

Sell them both and then buy a Bongo 5. :) Or any other 5 string that you like. While I know some people couldn't care less, I think a 6 string looks a little pretentious or just plain silly on certain gigs (especially if yer not using the 6th string). And if you've already got a 4 string it's nice to know you've got a bass with a B should you need it.

So yeah - +1 on fendehutz's suggestion.