1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you own a 6 string bass or are a technician help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mayeloski24, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mayeloski24

mayeloski24

Mar 18, 2014
    so i got a Ibanez 676m a few months ago, but the first time i got it i didnt like how the neck felt and it had a lot of fret buzz, so i went to my local music store to see if hey could set it up or fix just the truss rod right?? well the guy told he was going to charge me $80 because he needed to take out the frets or something like that, and i didnt have $80 , and he told to call the company if still had the company warranty, so i call ibanez about the warranty and after a few phone calls i send them back my bass and they send me a new one, and this one plays and feels better , but after the 12 fret and below ( mostly on the 3 higher sting D G C) when i play the notes are not as loud ( or do some tapping) as when i play from the 10 fret and above ( all the strings sound equal) , could it be the truss rod or the bridge? or both?? help please :crying::crying::crying:

2. For the love of god, stop going to that music store. If they're that incompetent they don't deserve your business. All your bass needs is a good setup to get the action right and playability to the best it can be.
    There no need to send your bass back either. All you need is a bit of knowledge to do your own setups.
    If you're confident enough to do your own setups, there are plenty of How-To's in THIS THREAD. It's stickied at the top of this subforum too.

As for your volume problem, if a setup doesn't fix it, try some new strings. I don't know what Ibanez puts on their basses at the factory, but its possible that its not quality.

mayeloski24 likes this.
  3. mayeloski24

mayeloski24

Mar 18, 2014
    i did tried to set it up , i saw threads from this page, as for the string they're elixers and the pickups are bartolini, i guess i just keep on carefully setting it up to my likes, oh and it has a double truss rod , i did adjust easily on my 5 string schecter omen but it has only one which was easy

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Try to 'tilt' the pickups?

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why would you say that?

my translation of the OP's confused story from the store is that the neck was actually warped and couldn't be fixed without a leveling or even a refret. that's an entirely possible thing, especially on a lower-priced import instrument. actual fret removal and replacement is a lot more than $80, though!

if the replacement is better, it may now just need a proper setup, and that's something the store in question may be perfectly capable of doing. the OP may still need to pay similar money, i charge $75 for a setup all day long.

mayeloski24 likes this.
  6. Hi.

Because of that price, my translation was a new nut + setup.

That all is sadly pointless now though because he recieved a replacement.

OP, if a low- to mid- priced name brad instrument nowadays plays even semi decently without a setup, consider Yourself lucky.

If, after doing some minor adjustmets per the instructions You can find everywhere, especially the PU height your new bass still won't play to your liking, I'd still be comfortable in taking the bass into the first shop for the first setup.

After the setup is "near", it's way easier to do minor tweaks one at a time to make it perfect for You, than it is to do a full setup without any prior reference.
    IMO/IME anyway.

Regards
    Sam

7. mayeloski24

mayeloski24

Mar 18, 2014
    yes i think thats what the tech guy wanted to do , but now i'm slowly tweaking it to my likes, but i still would prefer a person who knows more could set it up for me, on my 5 string schecter it had one truss rod which was simple, but on my ibanez it has 2 truss rods which it will take me more time

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Can't remember hearing of a warped BTB neck...