If you think you have it bad...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 29, 2012.

1. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Please explain.

Bartlett of peak oil fame?

2. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    There is really the clincher. Resources.

The Sahara has loads of open space. Put in a spread out multi-million population city there and see what happens....

Food and water are limiting factors to consider.

3. Bartlett is a professor (emeritus) of physics at University of Colorado (Boulder). He has lectured many times on growth vs. sustainability particularly with respect to population and the resources it requires.

Here is the wiki link.

Controlling overpopulation is a start.

4. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    people clumping up near resources and (perceived) economic opportunity makes sense. over population is, IMHO, a big source of world problems. unfortunately, trying to control people's procreation is currently viewed as particularly evil. i don't know if china still has official policies about it, but things went very badly for baby girls when they first tried it.

5. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    maybe...... it's because there is not a whole lot else you can do in a 6' X 2' box other than the horizontal mambo.

6. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Well, in a roundabout way, you've hit the nail on the head. If a person is in a low-to-no employment area, with people just hanging out, that's a very pleasant way of spending the time. And free, to boot.

7. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Not saying anything bad about the people in that situation.

8. My grandfather lives in a caged bed. Despite our most determined efforts, he stays . He likes it there... I could only compare it with a frat house.