Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I think it's really good for recording. I wouldn't want stuff like that used live. It seems that all it does is make life easier.
  2. It's been done before, but never that well. There is the same kind of deal made as a bass, with isolated strings and everything for different instruments, it's got this wierd bar going from the upper horn to the headstock and a big pedalboard processor. They were made in the 80's and come up on ebay now and again.

I like this though, especially that piano thing sounded KILLER, I would totally use it live.
  3. can anyone find a link to the bass version or maybe even a website for the maker or something?
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well he said it wasnt MIDI, and I guess I believe him, but it sure seems like it has MIDI like capabilities such as notating what you play, and sound banks, but as the above poster said, I dont think its been done so well before. If I didnt look, I wouldnt have noticed the Piano sound was a guitar at all.
  5. i'd give it a try...dunno if it will catch on or not...i wonder what the latency is...if there is any...
  6. from the video it looks nonexistent
  7. thats what i saw as well...it might actually be a nice alternative to midi gear! anyways, its too bad that brian moore did it, i really don't like brian moore instruments...
  8. Why?
  9. I think that it's pretty interesting and a pretty good idea.
  10. as shallow as i may sound, i don't like the way they look...i know tone is where its at, but i still think having a good looking bass is important as well. actually, its mainly the headstock i don't like...the rest is fine
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I also noticed how atrocious the headstocks looked when I checked out the basses on the iguitar website.
  12. I really like the idea, but what I'd really like is a wireless guitar that does the same thing. That would be awesome. No cables or anything, just a guitar (or bass) and a laptop and you'd be good to go.
  13. I HAVE an older, but essentially the same, iGuitar from Moore. My guitar is the midi 13 pin version, but as much as they want to make the USB option seem that much better I have a Roland 13 pin midi to USB converter so it's really the same, minus one or two features. It's a nice guitar. Mahongahny body, Duncan JBs, good sound, very comfortable (radiused body), very playable. I bought it because I thought I'd use it a lot in the studio - for all the instruments that I don't normally play. But you know what? It's a giant pain in the ash to play a guitar into a DAW and then do all your sequencing / editing, because you have a damn guitar in your lap and a pick in your hand! So then when you need to do something in the DAW, like quantize or change samples, you have to shove the stupid pick in your mouth and balance the guitar on your leg and try not to bang the thing on your desk. You know what? I just learned to play a keyboard. Screw it, lol. Now I am much happier as muy lap and hands are free to do whatever I need - ha! As for live - they are fun, but there is some latency, how much will depend on your set up. It's not horrible but it was noticable. And the tracking is not perfect either. Mostly though, I fely it was a bit gimmicky. Did I really need an accordian solo in a song live at a dive bar? Nope. I still have the guitar though. Comfy!

Oh, and Doug Wimbish did a lot of midi stuff on bass live when I saw him in the day with Living Colour. If you are interested in midi / USB / whatever bass he's a good place to start, did lots of midi stuff on the Stain record..
  14. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Hey, Tempe Bassist! ^^^^

The iGuitar makes me a afraid that I'll have to avoid Guitar Center entirely for my purchases in the not so distant future. Screaming pentatonic riffs through a French Horn sound patch isn't my idea of a good time.
  15. The thing I like about this is that instead of just being a MIDI guitar (although it does seem to do MIDI) it also gives you the actual guitar sound. So it's like a built-in Guitar Port or something. Really cool to me, since you could plug into whatever laptop (or desktop) you've got handy without having to worry about poor recording quality or carrying extra equipment.
  16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I know a lot of the MIDI stuff out there doesnt track well at ALL on low end, and even the bassists Ive seen using MIDI on their instruments seem to stick to the higher end of the spectrum. I wonder if this new stuff can track bass notes as well as it does guitar, without latency.
  17. Personally, I will never buy one. NEVER.