1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ii V I lick as a fingering exercise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by KulNova, Sep 9, 2016.

1. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Yesterday, I learnt this lick from Janek Gwizdala. You can get the link to the original lesson at the end.

I decided to revise the lick a bit. It turned out as an interesting & challenging daily exercise that will benefit.

I play the lick in 16th notes, instead of 8th note as the original lick. Try to go up & down the neck as long as I can. Speed up a few bpm after a while.

This is my first time practicing this exercise. Ended up at 90bpm.

Here is the link to Janek's original lesson: 10 mins a day course preview – VideoBassLessons

Spherical Cube likes this.
  2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Another thing you can do to get the most out of exercises like this is changing fingerings. For example I printed up a bunch of freebie stuff that I got in a Janek Gwizdala email where he moves a pattern chromatically and rather than shift the same fingering up the neck I'll play the notes of the pattern starting on the index finger, then when it moves up a half step start it on the middle finger, then the ring finger, then the pinky. When it goes up a half step from there I'll move up a string and down a fret and play the pattern, then start on the middle, ring and pinky fingers then move that pattern up to the next position.

C/S,
    Rev J

Spherical Cube, NigelD and KulNova like this.
  3. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Thanks for the info Rev. I will try that one!

4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    You're welcome! I should've mentioned that the one I'm working on is called "Minor Shapes". Theo other interesting thing about the exercise is that in the shapes there are no 6ths or 7ths. Given that you can use chords out of the natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and Dorian modes to hear how the fit together. Throw in a looper pedal it really helps open up not only your technique but helps you hear how things fit together from a harmonic/melodic standpoint.

C/S,
    Rev J

KulNova likes this.
  5. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Great stuffs that you are practicing Bro. I put them in my list. Cheers!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021