1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm at WIT'S END.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by songwriter21, Jul 23, 2012.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hello All,

So the balancing act between my day job and my band is becoming unbearable. My day job won't bend AT ALL to give my any more time off than my whopping 5 days per year. They won't even let me off without paying me, because we don't even have 10 people in the stupidass company. Also, with my limited education (a crap community college associates from '99), and transportation costs, I really can't find anything more workable with benefits. I'm thinking that I have two options: I can risk it, and go solely off of the band (without benefits), and I could for the next 2 1/2 months, or try to fit it a seasonal full/part-time position (without benefits). The plus side to risking no benefits, is that I'm in good general health, and just have to pay for periodontist visits a few times a year. The band will be going to TN, VA, NY, FL, and other big gigs over the next six months, and I don't know what the hell to do. This band has more of a chance getting signed and going pro than any other I've ever played with, and it's actually a business (1099's, paid by check every two weeks). I'm going crazy with these jerks at my day job, who could care less about me having a life outside of work, as I'm about the only one who does. I'm so sick of this ****, and yet I need to pay my bills, of course.

Guys, ANY help and advice is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Hang in there and KEEP looking for a compatible job. Your band seems to be worth it!Don't give up! I know this isn't specific advise but as a fellow bassist I want to encourage you! Please keep us posted.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    There's good reasons behind the stereotypical musician that works at McDonalds, delivers pizza, and/or live at home. Jobs that will work around your gig schedule are rare and generally low paying :( . Reducing your expenses to the bone is step #1. I assume you're in the low 30's - probably the oldest where you still have a shot at "making it" but still one in a thousand even with an awesome band that's already recorded and touring. Better odds than the lottery though :D .

4. I think you're going to find that with RARE exceptions, any business is just that - a BUSINESS. Being considerate of your outside activities is basically not their problem -it's yours.

Keep looking for a more compatible job. And as far as benefits and specifically health benefits, its not just your present general health to consider. You can get get racked up in a car accident or other catastrophe any time.

If you think its tough making a decent living at a regular job long term, its a hell of a lot harder through playing.

However, playing is a lot more enjoyable.

5. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    sounds you have no wife or children.
    Its a no-brainer. GO WITH THE BAND!!
    On your deathbed you will not be thinking about your "day job"... but remembering the good times with the band will bring a smile!!

6. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ^ Yup, expecting to "make it" is bat crap crazy for sure. That's why the typical "made it" band is full of crazy people :cool: .

You've just gotta decide if you're nuts enough to go for it :D .

Seriously...

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    What a tough call to make.

Realistically, decide how important your job is to you.

How old are you, family?

Is the band stable

Is making it something you really want

Blue

8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    To basically address all of you (thanks for the input)-yes, I'm going on 34, am in good shape, am not married, no girlfriend, and no kids. Yes, I'm crazy enough to try this, and if I don't, I'll regret it to that ol' deathbed. Regarding my band and members...it's a country band, with sort of a "Big n Rich" sound, first two albums have been done in Nashville, and none of the guys cause drama, NONE. We all get along like family, even though I'm still fairly new to the organization (NYE of '11). In over sixteen years of playing, this is the first case of this. They are all phenomenal talents, but all very dedicated and genuine. They all have wives and kids, but know how to manage them, and their families know their lifestyles. Hell, our singer's family travels with us, and the wife sings, too. She also handles the financial end.

I think it'd be stupid to pass this up, don't you think? The health care risk is just that...risk with a capital "R". It scares me to death, but sometimes you have to jump the canyon to try to reach the road to happiness at the other side, while risking smashing onto the rocks below.

I'm thinking of looking into something part-time that can maybe have SOME benefits, or a seasonal position of some kind. I do know that the band will have enough shows to last me through mid-Oct, at least, and then after that, it's off to TN, VA, NY, and FL in time.

9. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In your situation, I would go for it.

10. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Find a rich girl you can mooch off of.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I feel your pain. Been there, done that.:atoz:

Look at it this way: Just as there are potential costs to taking too many risks, i.e. being reckless, there are also certain costs - opportunity costs - to being too risk-averse - and not grabbing the brass ring while that opportunity is in your face. :meh:

There are times when you have to follow your heart - regardless of what your brain says (the brain is not always right). This could very well be that time for you.

I think you're a lot less trapped than you seem to think you are (though a crappy day job with no future can warp your thinking that way). I vote "Go for it"! :)

Cheers,

MM

12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Dare Greatly
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

- Theodore Roosevelt (1910) -​

13. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    OP - sure can't tell you what to do, but I'd go for it.

Just stay off ladders....

14. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I hear Starbucks offers bennies to part time employees, & I think they're kinda flexible in scheduling too. Good Luck to ya! :hyper:

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Go for it. It's only going to get harder as you get more tied down.

16. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I'd go with the band if I were you. No wife or kids yet? You're lucky. If you really dig playing music, you'll have nothing to do with marriage or kids - ever. What if you don't go; they get someone else and make it big; you're home with your day gig that you hate; etc etc....you'll be pissed.

17. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Have you ever seen "Anvil-The Story of Anvil"? I'd rather be the guy who tryed and tryed and tryed again, the the other type. You only live once. Crappy jobs are a dime a dozen. You can always move to find a new job.

I did not see if you have a wife or kids. If not, GO! Otherwise, family first. There are other bands.

Good luck!

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd like to hear more from those who've actually made the "jump". Was it short-lived or successful in the long haul?

Riis

19. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011

20. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The vacation rules have gotten worse and worse, we've lost some employees over the years, the owner has been reluctant to hire more help, and therefore we have to take up the slack, as well as having it much harder to take the vacation days that we choose. It's beyond skull-splitting.

But, yes, I want to be as professional as I can, when it comes to leaving. I'd like to give two weeks, and have my last day be Aug 8th, but I have a show that my band leader needs me to play, as no fill-ins can do it, and he can't cancel, since it would look really bad for the band. Is it worse to have my last day on the 2nd (Thursday), as opposed to the 8th (Wed). Like I said, I'd optimally like to give two weeks, but would three business days make that much difference?

Would it be wise to leave after the 2nd? It's either that, or I stick around until the 8th, but have to fake sick on the 3rd, in order to leave early (I wouldn't want to call off the entire day).

Down to the wire....