1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm Back From Mexico!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Dec 23, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    See post #8... I'm back!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Cool. Have a good, safe trip.

Are you going to check the music scene while you're there?

3. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Umm... the music scene near my grandparents' place is obsolete, IMO :D

However, I think we might be also visiting my cousin in Guadalajara, and there are a few places I could check out if I get the chance.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    cool, have fun. i spent a week in Monterrey and loved it. The Mexican people are so nice and welcoming.

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I heard many a rumors about a "donkey" and some sort of "show", but I gather they must be rumors.

Enjoy the food!!!

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I know Guadalajara isn't exactly next door to Zihuatanejo, but avoid Zihua anyway. The travel guides that say it's cool are ten years out of date, and Zihua/Ixtapa sucks massively now. Check out the volcanic mountains inland instead. Good traveling- Hasta la vista, Boo-by!

7. Don't drink the water. :)

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm back!

Well, I was already posting again yesterday, but I hadn't posted on this thread yet :smug:

The food was delicious (it's hard to top authentic Mexican cuisine, IMO), and I didn't drink the water unless it was bottled :p

I spent most of my trip in the state of Jalisco, but we did trek through the states of Sonora, Sinaloa, and Nayarit along the way (as well as Arizona in the U.S.).

Some memorable events:
    - I drove through an Arizona sandstorm
    - I had my share of arguments with a racist waitress at an Arizona hotel
    - My dad's Hummer was scratched by an unknown reckless driver while we were attending a quincinera
    - A parking lot attendant in San Martin de Hidalgo thought I was a Mexican politician and was extra-kind to me
    - We went to a beautiful waterfall about an hour south of Tapalpa (tough but worthwhile hike!)
    - My siblings and I attended a New Year's Celebration at the town square in Tepehuaje (my dad's hometown)
    - My brothers, along with one of my cousins, tossed a firecracker into some random person's house and were nearly arrested (they apologized, but the whole town knows regardless :scowl:)
    - I smuggled in some alcohol not available in the U.S. :D
    - I saw a few local bands, mostly traditional stuff
    - My cousin introduced me to a few interesting Latin Rock bands
    - My sister was stung twice in a row by a scorpion

One of the most important lessons I learned is that we actually are pretty well-off here in terms of freeways and gas prices. In Mexico, they run two different highway systems - "Libre" (Free) and "Cuota" (Toll). "Libre" is free for a reason... poorly maintained local roads, windy turns, not well policed. With "Cuota", you really do get what you pay for - top-notch roads, high speed limits, police enforcement, etc.

What sucks is that there were over 20 toll plazas we crossed through on our way to Guadalajara, which prices ranging from a mere $2.00 US to over $11.00 US. Gas prices are worse than they are here, and my dad insisted on taking his new gas-guzzling Hummer, so you can imagine it was an expensive road trip :scowl:

The food was cheap, though... and did I already mention it was delicious? :D

9. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    What kind of "spirits" did you come in contact with, if i may ask?

Sincerely,
    C. de Leon

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Mexico is a great country. I loved the people and food there. Amazing food.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Did you miss us? :D

What alcohol did you bring back home? Damiana?

-Mike

12. Next time you come to guadalajara give me a call buddy!

13. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Cool, I am leaving for Ensenada in a week to visit my inlaws, we go every year at least once.

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    what bands did you discover? mexico has some awesome music.