1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm confused...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GhostBunnies, Mar 10, 2008.

1. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Hello,

As I mentionned before, I got a used Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass recently.

Now, I'm looking to buy an amp and currently I've found two very different & interesting offers: either I can get a used Ampeg BA115 or a used Gallien-Krueger MB150S-III for the same price.

I know I'm trying to compare a combo with a head, but which one would you pick up?

I was pretty satisfied to get an Ampeg BA115 for around 250€ (do you think that's a good price by the way?) but then I've read all the critics concerning the hiss and the weight concerning this particular model all over the forums.

Then I've read all the good critics about Gallien-Krueger MB150S-III, but I'm scared I can't get a cab right away because I don't have the money for that.

I've never tried any of them - I can eventually try the Ampeg before buying it, but there's no way for me to get a taste of the Gallien-Krueger.

I mostly play experimental/indie rock stuff and planning to practice at home, rehearse with a drummer and eventually some keys.

I need some help to make the right choice...

Thanks a lot friends!

=]

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    As a player of 15 years, I'd say go with the ampeg. It's not bad, it'll probably be loud enough and you can play it NOW, which is most satisfying.

I personally like the GK better, BUT if you won't be able to get a cab for it for a while, like i said, go with the ampeg and play play play your bass till your fingers bleed!

3. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Yes, it would be better to start playing right away! :bassist:

I thought I could simply play through headphones (even though I hate playing through headphones) until I can get a cab for the GK.

So you think that hiss everyone seems to talk about is not a big deal to worry about on these Ampeg BA115 models?

4. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Anyone?

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I agree with him.

Hiss...unless you go into a higher price bracket, dont worry so much about hiss.

6. GhostBunnies

GhostBunnies

Feb 16, 2008
    Done!

Going to buy the Ampeg BA115 at the end of this week! :hyper:

Thanks a lot for your advice once again!

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    good choice

8. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    I own an Ampeg BA115 and it is going into the shop to be repaired for the second time in less than 8 months. Maybe I have a lemon, but it is also the second one I have owned as the first one stopped working 5 minutes after I plugged it for the first time. I have lost all faith in the Ampeg combos.

9. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Just disconnect the tweeter wires. No more hiss.

10. My first "real" amp was a BA115, and it was a solid amp that worked well for me when I had it. It sounded really good, it just ended up not being loud enough when I joined a hardcore band.