1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm getting an Ibanez Musican bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SherpaKahn, Mar 31, 2006.

1. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Alright guys, here it is, the first bass I am buying: A 1985 Ibanez Musician MC924...A real beauty.

It's a neck-through, active bass with an ebony fingerboard, Vol-tone-vol-tone pots, and it works as a passive bass, too. Here are some pics from the seller:

FullBodyfront.

BodyFront.

Bodyrear.

Bridge.

Headstock.

I am seriously excited about this. I'm sending out payment this week, it should be here in time for my birthday (the 20th, if any of you fellers want to pitch in.) ;)

Frozen J likes this.
  2. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Also, is there any reason I shouldn't post the serial number in public like this?

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Sweet bass. The only reason I am hesitant to post serial numbers is someone could take my pics, print them out, and give them to a police officer and say those are pics of his stolen bass.....lucky for you I'm a lefty:D

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ibanez must have been ahead of its time - the body contour reminds me very strongly of the new Yamaha RB basses!

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Those basses are really sweet, congrats!

6. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    And heavy. Took me a while to get used to the weight of my Musician (fretless, natural finish), but it was well worth it.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, mine was extremely heavy as well. But it did have the tone to match!

8. WORD!

I have that exact model and year. You could not get a better first bass.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Congrats on your purchase. One friend has one of those (exactly the same color but made in '82) and I really like it. BTW, I'd get an Ibanez Musician just because the headstock, my all-time favorite for a 4-string along with the Zon Sonus', which is similar.

10. Dudde its not a neck thru its a set neck

SherpaKahn likes this.
  11. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    wow, that thing looks mint! congrats!

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Dudde" I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

13. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    He is; it's a neck thru.

14. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Thanks for the kind responses. I took down the pic with the serial number. I am sorry, because that picture shows the finish so nicely, but I'm playing it on the safe side. There are predators like that Danomite out there. (Sweet handle, by the way)

And yeah, I am going to have to invest in a good strap for this bass. Apparently the body wings are made of ash, which would hypothetically help reduce weight, but the through-neck, which takes up a significant portion of the body, is maple and walnut, which probably adds to the weight. All in all, this one clocks in at exactly ten pounds, which seems pretty heavy, but not extraordinarily heavy for a bass. (It uses one very very meaty bridge, too)
    One thing about these basses: I've been playing an '84 MC-888 "Bean Bass" for the last few months (Currently machining up replacement tuners for it), and that one is significantly narrower than this one, and it's STILL heavy. I love the feel of that one's neck, though, and the tone, the headstock shape on this one...mmmm...So that alone had me interested in this beauty when I saw it up for sale. But the features and the tone on this thing seem awesome, so for the price I'm getting it for, with original HSC (all in all, about the same price as a Fender MIM Jazz), It seems like a perfect choice. I'll let you know when it comes in, and I'll post some more pics then. Until then, I'd appreciate any more feedback or info that anybody has about these basses.

15. Dude that bass is hot.

lowsound

16. 10 pounds? Pshaw. That's a woman's bass. :smug:

17. proof that its neck through:
    my musician '83 with finish removed (used to be polar white like the one above)
    [​IMG]

18. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    :D

I had one of these (the active model and the same finish) from new - broke my heart to sell it, but simply too heavy for me to use regularly.
    I've just bought an Ibanez RB 888 (bean bass) to make up for it - pounds lighter...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  19. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    ...I've had this bass nine years now and it has set the bar pretty high as far as finish & construction.

Incidentally, my MIJ jazz (basswood) must weigh about 9lbs. 9 vs 10 is not much of a difference to me.

20. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    ...the weight difference between those two is palpable.