1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm looking for two string recommendations, flats and stainless steel rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sean775, May 9, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I want a set of flats that have slightly less tension than Chromes, and a set of SS rounds with slightly less tension than Rotosound ss rounds.

I like strings that are a little bit more tense than average, but not crazy tense like Roto flats

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlop for the win.

Super Bright Flats and Super Bright Steels are exactly what you're looking for. Bass Strings Online sells both, and Jason can also recommend others that will work for you.

3. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I'd prefer for them not to be really bright either

Pbassmanca and scuzzy like this.
  4. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    They aren't bright as the name suggests they are musical and very tame imo

Pbassmanca and scuzzy like this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Tension is a function of gauge.

Assuming you're using the same tuning and the same scale length just get thinner sets of those same strings than the ones you're using now. Problem solved.

6. If the OP wants something "a little bit more tense than average", the Super Brights may not be the best choice as they (both rounds and flats) are known for being more supple and flexible than most others.

My recommendations would be the DR SS Lo-Riders 45-105 for rounds and the Fender 9050L (45-60-80-100) or La Bella 760FL (43-60-82-104) for flats.

Bruiser Stone and scuzzy like this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Putting my pedant hat on for a while, really its a function of mass per length (density), so a less dense construction like a hex core might have a bit less tension, but in reality the practical differences are negligible so yes, the best practical solution with a tangible difference is lighter gauge...

Bass_Bob and petrus61 like this.
  8. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    What's the difference in tension between Lo Riders and Fat Beams

9. Comparing the same gauges, the LRs are stiffer due to the hex core. FBs, which are slow-wound on a round core, are slightly more supple and flexible, although they tend to feel ever so slightly stiffer than the Hi-Beams or Sun Beams, which are also round core.

eriky4003 likes this.
  10. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    LaBella DTFs are the answer to all life’s questions.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlops are definitely what you want then.

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is correct.

But I wasn't sure which way to go there because first he said he wants less stiff strings, then the next sentence he wants more stiff strings!

13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    At the same gauge there is no difference in the lbs of pull you have to exert with the tuner to bring the string to pitch. That's what tension is.

14. Fender 9050l"s for flats.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I've seen you slogging this gem in the last couple "recommened strings" threads I've looked at.

While it may be technically true, it's not of any practical value whatsoever. Different strings of the same gauge may strictly have the same tension, but they can also certainly feel wildly different in terms of stiffness, which I think everyone who posts in threads like these (except you) understands is what the OP is looking for when they refer to "tension."

ole Jason likes this.
  16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You are wrong.

Saying tension when you mean flexibility is like saying you need more gain when you want more volume.

Tension is pull, flexibility is bendyness. They are separate attributes of a string, and there are different solutions if you want to change one vs the other.

Tension numbers are literally printed on the packaging for most strings, and labelled "string tension". Those numbers are lbs of pull. Not a measurement of flexibility.

17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah, I know.

But no one actually cares about tension, unless they post something like "my truss rod isn't strong enough to counteract/increase the backbow of my neck, I need higher/lower tension strings."

99% of all posters talking about tension are (erroneously) talking about stiffness. Just play ball.

18. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So fat Beams are a little more tense than Sun Beams, but not as tense as Sun Beams?

19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    So you want tension to mean flexibility in the strings forum and pounds of pull in hardware and repair? Because people post about the pull the strings put on the neck there every day. What are we supposed to call the pounds of pull on the strings in here then? Because that's something people take into consideration when choosing strings, whether you want to believe it or not.

20. Dunlop Marcus Miller SBs are more tense than regular SBs if I'm correct. I love Fat Beams too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021