Im really sorry, another amp thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    You guys seriously most be getting sick of me by now, I honestly dont know whats wrong with me, everytime I pick an amp I find that the grass is greener on the other side, and I haven't even got my own grass yet, (I haven't bought a larger amp, work with me :rolleyes: ) Anyways, I have definitly decided between 2 amps, the car im getting is the ford sport track so im not gonna be lugging cabinets anywhere. So its combo's for me.

The two I found worthy for me, (really sorry for that comment) were the Mesa boogie walkabout 15" and 15" cabinet to match, and the venture 210 and maybe 15"er underneither it.

the question now is, what is the point of taking the 2 walkabout cabs at 8ohms and combining them for 300w or just buying the combo at 300w. Is it gonna be louder or just an image, personally I want a bigger looking rig, just looks nicer onstage to me, I dont know, whatever.

The next is about the venture, I've seen it with a 15" underneith it, but I hear that for this amp its not recomended at all to run at 2ohms for even short periods of time. So the same question applies, is it gonna be louder if I have the 210 combo and a 15 under it, I know it'll give me more low end but will there be a volume increase with both combo and cab at 8ohm?

I promise you guys, this is the last thread from me.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's OK. This is the "Amps" forum, after all.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    OK, I'm not sure precisely how the Walkabouts work and what they are rated to, but generally when you have a combo that lets you plug an extension cab into it, the speaker in the combo is not rated to the minimum number of ohms the amp can take.

When you add an additional cab you not only reduce the load (and thus increase the power from the amp) you also increase the cone area, which moves more air, which makes you sound louder.

So if you take a head that is rated for 300w at 4 ohms and attach a single 8 ohm cab to it, you will get something less than 300 watts (just how much less depends on the amp, but probably in the 150-220 watt range). If you add a second 8 ohm cab, you reduce the total load to 4 ohms and allow the amp to produce its full 300w. Plus you have more speaker area, which makes you louder all by itself. Looking cooler is just a side effect of this.

The only way you'll get down to a 2 ohm load is by running two 4 ohm cabs. Don't do this unless the amp is rated down to 2 ohms.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Isn't the Ventura just an M-Pulse 600? They can handle handle 2ohms, it's just not 'recomended'. I know of many people doing it though.

Also, wouldn't it be an option to get an 8ohm Ventura ordered in (If it's not allready)? I'm sure you could, then you could add the extension speaker and run at 4ohms..

If all else fails, check with Boogie!
  5. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I was thinking, the walkabout fits my needs exactly, the only thing im concerned about, is the finish im getting is cream bronco, looks like white but creamy, and considering it'll be a stage amp, Im woried I'll end up ruining the finish, I know if comes with leather slip covers, but what do you think, am I going overboard with protecting my stuff, if it was a black finish it wouldn't show as much, but I love the way the white looks.

I dont know, I really think im going overkill and you guys think that too...I sense it in all of you... :ninja: I really need to calm down.....deep breath's. Hey does anyone know if they have amps anonomous, were they just talk to you about your problems about wanting more and more and bigger and bigger amps?