1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm Scared.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I have the opportunity to get a new bass soon and I'm having trouble trying out a different brand other than Fender. I know Fenders are reliable and I love their sound. But, I want something different like a EBMM Stingray. I love these in the store but I am scared that once I get it home I'll be wishing I bought a MIA Jazz or Precision. I know you can almost never go wrong with a Fender. I know because I have a Geddy. Help me to choose something other than a Fender.

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Im in a similar situation.

A lot of pros and cons to be weighed for everything you consider, at least for me when I'm making the choice.

Stingrays are good, all around. So are Spectors and Warwicks if you want more of the growl.

3. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    If it makes you feel better the Stingray was designed with lots of input from Leo.

4. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah, because I am in highschool and money like this can't be thrown around AT ALL.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Why do you need another bass?

6. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Look in the used market. You can get a good used ray for less than a grand. If you do not like it you can sell it for what you paid for it.

7. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Buying basses is fun. Haha. I'm getting into a metal band and kind of want a different sound like the Stringray would be and I have my car money secured and have some left over for bass.

8. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Good advice.

Experimentation is good. Take a chance.

9. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Buy to try used. Don't take a bath on retail yet.

10. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    +1, exactly what I was gonna say when I saw the first post.

Saves you the trouble of getting a possible lemon from mf.com or seeing a nice looking one that plays like crap in a GC. Check the classifieds on TB, plenty of different basses are on there all the time. Plus, chances are the bass you get is gonna be a nice player and in good shape if a TBer owned it!

11. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    ROFL. Tell me you did that on purpose. I have been looking on Ebay for things and I will definately buy a Peavey T-40 if I can find one.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Well, a T-40 will be MUCH cheaper than a 'Ray. But they are extremely heavy. I have one, but I doubt that I'll play it for more than one set at a time. I guess what I'm saying is that if you want something to be your main bass, I'd go with the 'Ray or the Fender; and used will definitely get you the best price.

13. Stop scaring yourself and get a '08' MIA Jazz V, you'll be glad you did - I was.:bassist::D

14. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    This makes me think +1 to buying used.
    Look for a good deal, grab it, play it and flip it.
    At worst, you risk a few bucks and discover what you like and don't like about that instrument.
    You really need to own an instrument to know if it's for you.
    Weight, balance, neck profile, string spacing, p-up placement, body contour and a number of other factors are all elements to consider.
    Do that a few times and you won't be asking anyone what you should buy; you'll know.
    Besides, buying basses is fun.
    Now since you asked :D I think you should search for used Peaveys, Ibanez, Yamaha, Schecter, Carvin, G&L, Lakland Skyline.
    In my opinion, stay in the $300 to $400 range (or there-abouts), since they will be easier to resell.
    Keep us posted on how it goes.
    You are now on a quest; go forth...:p

Good luck,
    Chad

15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    What the other said... Keep your Geddy and look for a used Stingray, try it for a while and see if you like the tone and feel. Stingrays are pretty consistant...

16. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Help me to choose something other than a Fender.[/QUOTE]

Once in a long while a Brawley bass comes up on E**L Bay. The quality(specially the neck thru bodies ones)is fantastic.

17. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

Get a G&L and you get the best of both worlds

18. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Would you be keeping the Geddy or getting rid of it to help finance the new bass? I haven't seen you post this info, and I think its important to your decision. If you are keeping the Geddy, why get another Jazz? If you are having to get rid of the Geddy, what will you gain by trading one Jazz bass for another? You'd better off keeping the Geddy Jazz IMO than to get another one. I know that USA Std Jazz is nice, but its pretty much the same as what you already have.

Either way, I think you should go for the Stingray. Its not like you'll have a hard time getting another Jazz bass down the road. BTW, I love Fenders too. I'm just not following your decision-making logic on this one.

19. jeremiahjay

jeremiahjay

Oct 31, 2007
    with your mindset and fears, chances are anything you buy is a regret. You better stop your fear and have a different mindset. Fender is not the only thing there is. their 5-string is imperfect.

If you want a fender's touch, go for a stingray or a G and L, they're both Leo Fender's influenced one way or the other.