Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm sensitive....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I've tried different kind of strings and i'm leaning more too the sound of stainless steel roundwounds but my fingers are sensitive and leans more to nickel rounds or flats, is there a stainless steel roundwound that's nice to my fingers and still sound great? The sound that i like are Rotosound 66's.

How about those DR Hi-beams, i have only heard good stuff about them?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Drs are great, but i dont find them any more nice to fingers. Just develop callouses or tough skin and youll be fine.

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I use D'addario Half Rounds on both fretted and fretless basses. I find these as smooth to the finger as flats, but are made from a round wound construction with part of the protruding "burr" of the round wound taken off.
    Other manufacturers have what they call pressure wound strings. I don't know if the manufacturing process is the same, but the smooth feel is the same.
    On the fretless they do not dig into the wood. On the fretted I find them just easier to play.

4. I found DR Hi-Beams to be a bit softer than Rotosounds (and much softer than DR Lo-Riders), and they sound great.

5. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    DR black beauties are coated hi beams,they are smoother than hi beams,some like them, some don't,I really do like them,I have black beauties on my Ibanez and red devils on one of my warwick thumbolts,they seem to last a long time and sound good,if you want to hear a sound clip of both the hi beams and the black beauties,go to www.basstasters.com

6. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I recently tried out a set of Dingwall Voodoo's, and a set of Conklin Snakeskins. They are slightly smoother than the D'Addario Pro Steels and the DR's.

Both are SS and have that nice crisp/bright sound.
    The Dingwalls are by far nicer strings.. but they were also $50 (for a 6 string set)

The Conklins are about $35.

GHS Super Steels are also really nice strings and aren't as rough on the fingers. Although they wear out faster.

Personaly...it's going to be a while before I try something other than the Dingwalls. (the package says not to use them on regular basses, but you will not have any problems as long as you do (or get it done by someone else) a set-up on it.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +1 !