1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Im starting to have problems with my band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Delgado91, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Delgado91

Delgado91

Jun 28, 2008
    So im in a band with these 2 fellows. they both play guitar.
    Now my main problem is that one of the guitarist well call him. Ken.
    He says my bass lines are "too complex" and he complains that he cannot make anything to compliment that.
    He says the bass should just be there to compliment the guitar, and for not much.
    It has just started to piss me off...
    Also they seem to think bass is easy...
    and you have to try to make it hard...

My problem is that i dont believe that, since that is a ridiculous statement on his part, just to excuse his incompetent playing style.

We play sorta indie music.
    To give you a taste of what we play we dont use distortion too much, if any.

Another problem im beginning to have is is that they dont want me to sing on any of the songs. I wrote all except for 1, but i dont care about singing on that one. But i wana sing on my songs that i wrote. Mainly because they dont know how to sing my songs, the melody patter they cant memorize. And ken was singing in one song but he changed it soo much i dont like it now.:bassist:

well i need help!!!

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    if u want to be a band then "the band" needs to do whats best for "the band" and everyone in "the band" needs to understand that

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Its not this guy is it?

[​IMG]

cuz hes got no balls.

4. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    i jammed with some random guitar guy yesterday. he says i had to play exactly the same lines he was playing or it wouldn't sound good for him. Or that he would freak out when I played too many notes. whatever.

these kind of situations never work out.

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    sometimes "less is more"...and maybe that's what your guitar players are trying to say (in their own peculiar round about way)...I'm not siding with anyone here, but my first thoughts from reading this is they may think you are playing too much (you're too busy)...stretching out is great "in spots", but don't over play...what you call "complex" bass lines, to them, just may be you are stepping all over the band...

All I can say about the singing issue, is the best singer for that song should sing...

6. schnigges

schnigges

Jun 29, 2008
    luxembourg
    +1

take it a step further: the band should play what suits the song best. I understand that one can be bored by simply playing root notes, but try for example to play every note you play as beautiful/powerful/... what the song calls for. That way you'll have a little challenge.

Maybe I'm all wrong though and Ken simply is an idiot;)
    :bassist:

7. J10elynne

J10elynne

Apr 15, 2009
    Sound like you think youre the front man dude... youre the bass player. you stand there hold things together, go unnoticed and shine when it needs to be done. you and the drummer hold everything together. and get no credit for it. get used to it. if they dont let you sing, its cause you arent any good.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Without hearing a sample of your music, it's hard to tell whats going on. Either you are overplaying, or they are full of s**t. If you are overplaying, you need to rethink your parts. If they are full of s**t, you need to find another band.

9. Correct. End of thread. ;)

10. If there's one absolute truth in this world, is that all guitarists know exactly what it takes to create a song that will live for eternity.

Ignore this truth at your peril.

/had a guitar player with this 'issue'. He'd write all these wonderful pieces and I'd create complimentary basslines to them, but when I presented a riff to jam, he'd wallow in roots and barre chords...we always ended up developing his songs because, 'they sounded better'. Assface.

11. My guess is that it's a bit of both.

Since other members are complaining, your bassline is probably too busy or doesn't really fit the song. howver the way they complain an the example you gave are pretty lame...

12. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    First, a lot of people would rather hear a complex bassline than just a series of 8ths
    Second, bass only sounds easy, the instrument itself is not easy
    Third, why is "ken" complaining when the other guitarlist is doing fine?
    Fourth, it is easier to write the guitar before the bass when i compose, but that's just me
    Fifth, sometimes, less is more
    Sixth, bass is an instrument. Therefore, it does not have to harmonize with the guitar. Two guitars can do that instead
    Seventh, as always, i can be wrong
    Eighth, good luck

13. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    Take your songs, form another band. The rift is already there, it isn't going to be healed easily. If you had to ask the board for help, the problem is probably deeper than you think. Music is art, if you wrote the songs, it's your art. If they helped shape the songs, then there will be some complications. IN any case, it sounds like they have somewhat ganged up against you, so the band's days are numbered from your perspective. Not trying to be a downer, just that your band now has an open sore, and it will kink the band from here on in.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Tell that to Sting, lol.

15. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    How about posting your myspace, or an Mp3 or something?

It's must have information in this circumstance.

16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Sounds like Ken is living up to the name "gui****." Does the other guitarist have no problem with your bass lines?

As for the vocals thing, whoever is the best vocalist for the song should sing that song.

I don't see how you're doing the lion's share of the work in songwriting but these guys won't give you a break. Seems like a bit of an unfair situation.

17. jigsaw(PL)

jigsaw(PL)

Apr 27, 2009
    Poland
    hi delgado . do you have any mp3 with music that yours playing ? you know ,its hard to say about bass line and vocal .
    but i think if you are 18 years old ,its time to work on with you style . i had the same problems when i was 18 :D now i have 25 and i calm down ,and the sounds i playing is primary for band not for my person

*sorry about my gramma ,i learning yet this language

18. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    F*ck Ken, what does Barbie think?

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Barbie pics?

20. On indie music, at least from my point of view, it really is better to play for the song, and not do a song to serve a bass line... Sometimes less is better man, there are many ways to play great, sometimes is playing a lot, flashy stuff, but sometimes is just making the simplest bass line the biggest one.