1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm thinking about playing through my computer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BassPlayer900, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a SansAmp BDDI and a small, low quality, 20 watt amp. It's annoys me how I can only go from a clean tone that sounds as though I'm not even using the SansAmp to a tone that shakes the speaker like crazy and roars like a distorted baritone guitar (it still has lots of bass though). But maybe this is just how the SansAmp works through a small amp?

Anyway, another thing that annoys me: my amp buzzes and I think it's.... clipping? (I don't even have overdrive on and I still get boatloads of overdrive... I think my amp must be clipping. this could have something to do with my blend setting being on full though)

So now I am wondering if I can get a wider range of tones and no clipping by running my bass and sansamp through my laptop and connect headphones for sound. I once watched a BDDI demo on youtube, and in the video, the person was playing a recorded bass loop through their computer, and tweaking the sansamp knobs. When they messed with drive, it went from a strong rock-style tone at 12:00 to a gnarly growl beyond 2:00.

I watched another video where a guy was demoing his sansamp through a 100 watt combo amp. He had his tone setting on "SVT style" and he was slapping. If I put my sansamp on "SVT style", I worry that my amp is on the edge of breaking (Well... not really. It just rumbles really hard and growls like a distorted guitar).

So will playing straight into a computer with headphones solve my problems? If so, here are my questions:
    1) What would be the best way to do this without spending over... say... $120? 2) What are some good, cheap headphones? 3) What would I even need to get to do something like this? I know it's possible, I just don't know what to get...

My current setup is a MIM standard Fender Jazz bass and a SansAmp BDDI.

2. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I can't say that running a BDDI into a computer will work; a sound card will make it sound much better.
    Also, perhaps some Audio Technica headphones? Something in the ATH Mxx line might work (ATH M30?).
    Personally I use Sony MXR XB700's, incredibly comfy, a bit bass heavy, but nice.

I think the issue is that your amp cannot handle distortion well (it's a 20 watt combo, most don't), and either a different amp or running via a sound card to a computer might help.

3. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    You need your output level switch set for instrument (If this is the BDDI version 2), then turn the input of your amp up to 3/4 full and use the output level control of the sansamp to control the volume. Sounds like you are simply pushing too much signal to the amp.

4. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    I took your advice and it sounded much better. Thanks!

5. I think they need to make an sansamp iphone App