1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm trying to put together a rig for small to medium venues

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Spin Doctor, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Hey guys and girls. I'm kinda new to bass and very new to playing live. I'm in a band with several potential gigs, but I don't have my own live rig yet. I'm using my bandmates bass gear for rehearsals.

I have an Eden navigator preamp and a QSC 2404 700 watt amp. But I need a cab. :confused:

We play Blues and Southern Rock. I'm using my Fender jazz with TI flatwounds, and I need to keep a fairly big sound. I don't think a refined sound is critical, but I don't know for sure yet. Additionally there are two guitarists (one rhythym and one lead) and a fairly energetic drummer.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting an epifani 3x10. Do you think that will be too Hi-Fi? Is it big enough? Additionally all this stuff needs to be able to fit into a Mitsu 3000GT. :eek:

Thanks for your help

2. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I can't let this thread go without recommending the TC Electronic RH450 and RS212 :)

I love mine and I can fit that, 2 LSx1503's, 1 LSx1801, 2 12" powered monitors, two basses, and a 24 channel board + snake in my WRX sedan... (granted there isn't room for anything else, not even a can of pepsi... ;))

3. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    well it all depends on how much you have to spend

4. Let's say $1500 for the cabs, tops and used gear is cool.

Thanks!

5. Wow, that 1x18 would take up all the room in my hatchback! I really dig WRX's though... I kinda need to get the smallest cab setup that will get the job done.

I have an ancient Ford F-150, also, but it doesn't have a cab on it... I guess I could drive that if I get a cover for the bed...

Edit. Ok, so I checked on covers for the truck bed and they make some "waterproof" Tonneau bed covers, so maybe cab size isn't an issue afterall. Dunno how good they work, though... Wow, I never thought about this stuff before...

OK, so let's make "lightweight" a criteria (50 lbs or less). I still want the smallest sized rig that will get the job done without people wondering where the bass is.

Thanks for your time!

6. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Berg NV215. I think that's the model. EdButler3 has brought his to the MN GTG's and by the end of the night it always seems to be the cab that every one rallies around.

I'm thrilled with my GB NeoX 212T, BTW. It might not be right for you though.

If I had that money to spend it would probably go to a pair of GreenBoy's fEarful 15/6's as made by Low Down Sound.

But I've got my NeoX cab and I'm happy with it.

KO

7. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA

The RS212 comes in under 50lbs (even though it doesn't have Neo drivers), its smaller than any other 2x12 I've seen in person so far and really has a great 'round' tone that works well (I use flats too). The tweeter is mounted coaxial in one of the 12's and you can control how loud the tweeter is. I've not had any issues in smallish to medium sized places with just 1 RS212.

the only issue I see is that the cab is pretty narrow, and a rack does look a bit funny on it ;) I used to use a SansAmp RBI and QSC power amp with my first RS212 and while it did look funny, it was in no danger of toppling over.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

We'd need more info before spreading false gear lust

1-How big a venue
    2-How loud a band (and instrumentation)
    3-PA support?

Many times when folks ask these questions they WAY over buy amps.. I can fill a small to medium venue with a 150 watt solid state amp.. Iv'e been asked by a sound guy to turn down a 50 watt combo amp.

Huge boxes etc are really only the ticket for outdoor events.. this is where power is needed.

====

Opinions.
    -Micro head + assortment of cabinets OR quality combo amp (both should kick back and have a useable DI)
    -Look into DI boxes
    -See some live shows.. find something you REALLY like the sound of.. then buy the bassist a beer -- go step by step through how the sound is created.. THEN go to the sound guy and ask the same exact thing. (you'll get 2 totally different answers)
    -Buy used.

9. mtizzle

mtizzle

Mar 23, 2008
    Look into a 4x10. I can fit my amp, cab, and bass into my Jetta all at the same time, so trust me - you've got enough room.

Me personally? I'll be playing my Peavey 4x10 until it dies. I love it, and I'd recommend it to anyone. It plays the lows really well. They're really crisp and defined, and it sits perfect in a mix.

10. 1. dunno yet. Typical local bar scene
    2. 2 guitars, bass and drums
    3. band leader has PA gear

The amp and preamp that I do have was bought used. Got a deal on it and it was really local. Like right down the street, so I bought it. It's prolly way more than I need, but oh well. I know these guys have played outdoor summer gigs in the past, but dunno if that is an open option now.

I'm new at this, so I wanna keep it kinda simple. I'm leaning toward the epifani 3 x 10 and some kinda 1 x 15. Plus the band leader has some Carvin gear. Don't remember the head model, but it runs a 4x10 cab.

But your advice to just ask a working bassist is a good common sense idea.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You can always try out the Carvin gear and save some cash. Maybe you don't have to buy anything.

Based on what I've read on TB, it's best to get two of the same type of cabs instead of mixing speaker sizes.

12. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not finding a listing for a QSC 2404. What is the correct series and model number?

I'm thinking that if you run it bridged, you'll have enough power for an acmebass.com cabinet, which are they best I've heard by far.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020