i'm upgrading!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikewho, Mar 14, 2005.

1. :D

quite possibly getting an avatar cab (though not sure which, probably one of the 4x10s or the 2x12), and a hartke 3500 head. any thoughts? hopefully no "you're an idiot, don't do it!" responses...
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Sounds like a nice rig. I loved my Hartke 3500. I regret selling it. :(
  3. I really love my Avatar 212, I run it with an Eden WT-800, and I use it for all kinds of gigs. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 410 or the 212. Hopefully someone can chime in and give you the difference between the two, I've never tried the 410.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    ::thumbs up::

go for it. That cab will probably be all you need for years and years to come. And 350Watts is a good stepping stone. That should also last you a good while. :)
  5. awesome, glad to have some feedback :)
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a fine rig. You'll like it.
  7. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    buy them at the same time, since I think Avatar has a free shipping deal with the head
  8. yeah, that's what i saw at the site and what basically gave me the idea.
  9. Go for the 2x12! It kicks some serious bootay.
  10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Go for it! I own 2 of their B210 Neo cabinets and LOVE them. I also have an older Peavey 210 cabinet that I replaced with the standard Delta 10's that I ordered from Dave. Lastly, I have a 15" Peavey cab w/Black Widow speaker that I will replace with a Delta Neo 15" and my plan to rule the world will be complete! :hyper: Just kidding. I really do love the Avatar cabinets - I think I can honestly say that I will never go with any other brand from now on - they rule that much! What's not to love? They are in the same league as the 'brand name" stuff in quality of construction and certainly TONE! I think all this non-sense over the horn being more harsh than other current market horns is ridiculous. I don't think they are - show me a Foster horn that doesn't get harsh at extreme settings (anyone???) Yeah, thought so. It's the same industry standard Foster horn every other name brand cab uses. To be totally honest, I think much of the criticism for the horn stems from jealously that some people paid WAY more for a cabinet that can be outshined or paced by a cabinet that costs WAY LESS. So they jump on the horn and yell - it's harsh, it's harsh, see - my multi-billion dollar investment IS justified after all! I played a gig over this last weekend and had several people leaning in around me to check out brand of the equipment I was running behind me - they were looking long and hard and directly at the cabinets. I took their interest as a compliment. I never had that happen with any other cabinets I've owned. Hmmm. ;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I haven't played thru the 212, but the responses here on TB are fantastic for those who have. Do a search and you'll see for yourself.

From my experience, I've played thru a friend's 410...what a cab!!! Avatars are the shiznit!!!! :hyper: I am so impressed I'm getting rid of my Fender BXR 300C for a 410 and 210 NEO with a head to be determined later. :D
  12. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I would go with the 2x12 8Ohm and add a 1x15 later for extra rumble.
  13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Don't get the hartke.
    :rollno: :bag:

Personally, i'd go for the ashdown over the hartke, but if you like that sound, it's your money not mine. :scowl:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wher in IA are you??? I'm in Urbandale
  15. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The Impedance you select should be related to what kind of money you really have. If you dont think you'll have money for another cab for a LONG time, then maybe you should just take the 4ohm cab. And if you need more power, you could either upgrade your head or pick up a power amp. You could safely pump up to 1500Watts into that cabinet, and it would give you enough lows where you probably wouldnt need a 15, unless you were outdoors or something like that.

With an 8ohm cab, you wouldnt get the full 350Watts out of the Hartke.... and basically, you'd have to spend more money to get that power. If you were talking about a difference of 500Watts or something, MAYBE it would be worth it.... but not only a couple hundred. Just take the full power out of your head with the B212 and enjoy it as a standalone :)
  16. you guys have been really helpful, thanks.