1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impanema changes

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by oliebrice, Mar 25, 2006.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    There seem to be a commonly accepted set of changes to Girl from Impanema that are given by most real books, aebersold, pocket changes, etc but that are completely different from the changes played on the Jobim/Getz recording.
    Does anyone know where the 'real book' changes come from? Which do you play if its called on a gig? Do you need to know both?

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    just realised I messed up my transposition, the changes aren't as different as I thought. Funny, though, that its always written in F in real books, but Jobim plays it in Db.

3. :meh: My recording of the tune by Jobim and Getz is in Db also. Perhaps the reason it is in Db is because it is a vocal ?

4. I have had piano, sax, and trumpet players do the solo
    and they have always played it in the key of "F".

5. The original is more than likely D. In Brazil everybody plays guitar, so you'll find most of the keys are in easy guitar keys.
    Jazz musicians over the years have changed the original to F.
    And yes, the Jobim changes ARE different.
    You really only need to know the jazz key F. I know very few players who play the original changes in the original key.

6. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
  7. pocket_groover

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Tabcrawler!! :eek:

Get thee behind me Satan!!

;)

9. pocket_groover

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    LOL! :oops:

Yeah, I know it sounds bad, but it's a chord chart and the chords sound very close to the recordings....:D