1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improv./Writing slap riffs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fsf347, May 4, 2010.

1. fsf347

fsf347

Mar 28, 2008
    Alright, i know this is my second thread in 2 minutes, but this is also a problem iv be stumbling upon.

It seems like whenever I wanna jam/improv/write something slap, I feel like i use the same, or a very similar rhythm each time. I also feel like i use the same patterns on the fretboard as well.

I really dont have this problem in regard to fingerstyle, for as for slap, its a problem. Im fairly new to slap, and I plan on picking up Slap it! tomorrow, but im not sure what to make of this.

When i play slap, i feel that my natural instinct is to hit the tonic, play a couple muted notes, and head for the octave.

Any advice for a slap noob?

2. Not forgetting to pick up your copy of "Slap It" tomorrow. :)

3. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Just play something else. Play anything except what you've been doing. Learn songs, force yourself to expand outside of your comfort zone, my friend.

- John

4. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    See if you could make a slap version of some of you fingerstyle grooves.

5. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    The problem I have with slap is that I generally only like the way it sounds with the minor pentatonic scale and dorian mode, so I also feel like everything I do sounds the same when I'm trying to slap and improvise over a one or two chord vamp. Have you explored left hand ghosting at all? It gives more rhythmic options than just muting with the left hand and slapping those notes.

It could just be a vocabulary issue and maybe you need to listen to and imitate some more guys though. I love Marcus Miller because he's been laying down slap lines for decades and still sounds creative to me. I don't know your level so maybe you've explored this already but maybe try adding simple two note chords to the mix e.g popping the major third and flat seven or taking those two notes a semi-tone lower and sliding them up to their proper position. And blue notes also sound great. I hope this helps :)