Improving 2 Fingered Speed?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Sep 4, 2005.

1. I'm learing the bass part of Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker and parts of the song have areas where he playes the open A and the B four times sorta fast.....(I think I explained that well) but my speed isnt that good. What do you guys suggest will improve my speed with 2 fingers in situations like this and altogether?
  2. TomAngelripper

Aug 30, 2005
    I play only five months and i can play sixtinth notes at 250 bpm!The secret I play thrash and death and not led zeppelin!!! :bassist:
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    LMFAO, i'm sure you use a pick, if not post soundclips...
  4. soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005

mmmm... right
  5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Let me guess... you're playing 250 notes per minute?
  6. Seems like the newest troll is in.

Ninthwondernj, the trick to improve speed is practice. Start slowly and gradually build up speed. Watch your tone, articulation and consistency.
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Hah, I thought it was a pretty funny post. 16th notes at 250 bpm though? A thousand notes per minute? Sounds tiring

For the Original Poster: Like omgbudsman says, break it down and play it perfectly, slowly.
  8. I suppose it could be done.....just tremolo pick.

A buddy of mine plays that sorta stuff on guitar and it's pretty intense, but once you get the tremolo picking down it's a piece of piss.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A piece of piss? Is it frozen?

The secret to playing fast is to practice slowly and build up speed gradually. Use a metronome and don't goose up the tempo until you can play it perfectly in time.
  10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Well this thread is about improving "2 fingered speed"...
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Scales, scales and more scales.

guarenteed to make you play faster, and with more precision.
  12. No sh*t! :eek:
  13. Bass Fitness.
    Get this book and do the exercise, absolutely fantastic workout, has helped my fingering no end (no jokes please ;))
  14. Formula

Jul 12, 2005
    Greenwood, SC
    no jokes here...but giddy laughter from the peanut gallery cannot be stopped!!

this is probably bad technique but i just grab a string and hammer the same note till i can accurately maintain the tempo it needs to be at. then i add the notes in from there...kinda like getting a running start.

that or the slow and perfect then speed up seem to be the best ways to do it imo.
  15. TomAngelripper

Aug 30, 2005
    Well Mass Hypnosis of Sepultura has sixtinth notes at 250 bpm!!I don't use a pick,I'm not so useless!!And why is it so strange??
  16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think you don't fully understand the bpm thing, it's ok, I made the same mistake.
  17. You don't seem to know that the guy from Sepultura does use a pick. Nothing wrong with that. And many people can play faster fingerstyle than pickstyle.

Now about those 1/16's at 250 bpm, I'd love to hear that (nevermind, though, my computer doesn't have speakers). It's one thing to be fast, it's another to be clean, on time, tasty, accurate, etc...

Finally, playing fast music won't magically make someone play faster, only through practice can someone achieve that.
  18. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

My finger speed increased 10 fold by playing tunes with mates - as well as jamming to some blues riffs etc... it just comes together after a while! Practice!
  19. TomAngelripper

Aug 30, 2005
    I practice ex. for 3 hours a day and the rest i learn songs and you don't gonna tell me what i can play!!What's your problem if i'm better than you??