Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IMPROVISATION....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SADUS, Sep 25, 2003.

1. SADUS

SADUS

Jun 18, 2003
    IF I WANT TO IMPROVISE OVER THIS PROGRESION( EX. G MAJ EM AM D7 ) 1 6 2 5 PROGRESSION IN G , I CAN PLAY OVER GMAJ AND EM ( PLAY THE G MAJOR SCALE?) AND OVER AM D7 ( SWITCH TO AM DORIAN?) OR ALSO I CAN PLAY ONLY THE G MAJ OVER THE COMPLETE PROGRESSION?( OR EM)?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    quit yelling!!!!!

:D

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    not technique related. Moved to general instruction.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Gee, thanks.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My pleasure :D Anytime.

6. While you could get away with just using G major or E minor over the whole thing, I guess it would depend primarily on the type of music. If it's jazz based, it would be best to spell out the chord tones a bit more.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In improvised Jazz : "There are no wrong notes, only wrong resolutions!!" ;)

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...poor resolutions.

Thing is, if there are indeed no wrong notes, then there are no poor resolutions either. It's all matter of taste. Which I guess means it all comes down to intent.

Anyway, SHOUTING BLOKE, those chords, try playing Ionian over the G, Aeolian over the E, Dorian over the A and Mixolydian over the D - all in G Major.

Although you'll be playing all the same notes as if you just played in G Major, by playing the corresponding mode with each chord you'll soon find which notes most strongly outline the chord changes and can then use those notes to most effect in your bassline or solo :)

9. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    Make white noise.. White noise makes all mistakes you made better.