1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

in between chord change query..pls help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by felman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. felman

felman

Feb 7, 2008
    im a new bassist and i dont even know how to explain this situation that im trying to ask but il try anyway...in listening to music or watching bands do their "jamming" ive noticed that in between chord change there is that sound that is kinda different that a bassist would use before jumping into another chord...example if they are playing C and G chords jamming, the bassist would tend to add notes in between chord changes, mostly "stealing" those notes in the middle or higher part of the neck before changing to another chord...the notes that they are "stealing" are kinda "higher pitched" as compared to the chords they are playing or maybe higher octaves of the chords they are playing.. i dont even know whats the terminology for what he is doing but i hope i was able to explain it for u to understand what i mean..is that "improvisation"?..or maybe "walking"? but what i understand in "walking" is before playing the root chord, say G from C, u would play first the notes E,F,F# to land in the note G.i mean walking is playing the notes beside that root before landing on that root..but thats not what im referring to..i mean those notes that the bassist would play in between chord changes that he gets from the higher end of the bass neck (i mean from the 12th to 24th fret) that sounds "catchy and interesting"..i can hear those in songs and jamming sessions but dont know what it is...im kinda dumb when it comes to bass as im a beginner so pls bear with me..whats the "rule" in playing those notes.. any lessons here that you guys can recommend? or books that deals with this that can help me? pls help..need your guidance...tnks much!!

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I'm thinking what you're talking about is playing fills... they aren't in between chord changes they are actually within the chords.. so in other words if you are playing a C major chord you might play with the notes C,E, and G as they are the main 3 notes in said chord. You can do this on any part of the neck

..also your perception of walking lines is a little off... it's much closer to what I just described than simply approaching G with E F F#... walking is what I described above except on the down beats...

with both tools it is generally important to lead into the next chord (root of the next chord usually)

3. felman

felman

Feb 7, 2008
    i thot those "fills" are other than chord being played well in fact it is actually part of the scale..guess i have to study and practice more on my scales and arpeggios...tnks much for ur reply...any adiitional info will be greatly appreciated!!