Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

in between

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nugget77, Oct 25, 2003.

1. nugget77

nugget77 Member

Oct 24, 2003
    long island ny
    what do you all do in between songs? instead of staring at a crowd

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, in my uncle's band, we do this...

"What do you want to do now? (frontman to guitarist)"

"I dunno, how about ________ (guitarist to frontman)"

"Nah, lets do __________ instead"

Meanwhile the drummer and myself try to hear what they decide on. Hmmmm setlist anyone?

3. We usually argue about something or tell really bad jokes like this one:

guitarist: what should we play next?
    me: i think we should play our original, about time(name of original)
    guitarist: yeah its about time we did an original

badom chei (sound of drums doing that joke thing. not sure how its spelt....)

we also accasionally tease the crowd.

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    In between songs our vocalist implores any able-bodied bassists to get onstage...? :bawl:

5. only leave three seconds between songs.
    noone says anything. just go.

6. nugget77

nugget77 Member

Oct 24, 2003
    long island ny
    yea usually ill fake tweaking something onstage so i dont have to look at the crowd cause that weirds me out, but usually the guitar and singer figure out what to play then the drummer and then i have to figure it out based on the drummers clicks before the song. we have a set list but singers never seem to be able to stick to them ***.....i think im gonna hit the bong in between songs from now on...

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I pick my nose and flick the magical gooey things at random people. I keep score like this, 5 points for a chest shot, 10 points for a head shot. I know it sounds gross, but it keeps me occupied. I never aim for the ladies though.

:rolleyes: :p

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    :D
    Who usually wins?

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

d00d, that would be 1337azTiK! iM guNNa Rohl a FatE 4 In bew3n sOnz 4 the Gig 2NiTE!

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i've never gigged... but I will probably just fiddle with my bass... a lot.

or go kick Joe for some reason or other.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I tune. Then wait and see what wierd stuff my guitarist/singer says. He has a strange stage presence. My lead guitarist has some friends in wheelchairs that came to a show. He said, "Hey! My favorite mobile units!" It was in good humor. Kinda funny. Some could get offended. But I dunno. I ususally have to stand there in the dark(it's dark on the bass side of the stage) and wait for the guitarists to figure out how to keep their guitars in tune.

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I win! Due to the fact I'm the only one who does this! :p

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Drink beer of course. :)

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I hope you can run REALLY,REALLY fast!!
    Nothing can escape the flying boogers of the Joe man! :D

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wait for the huge applause to die down to a reasonable level and then introduce the next one - what else would we do!!! :confused:

16. I often make jokes about my guitarist/singer. He then counter pays me out. Or i will announce the song we just played as the next song. "We're gonna play The Sleepless AGAIN" hehe

Or i usually decipher our setlist for my drummer so i turn around while my guitarist is talking to the crowd, he'll announce the song and i'll say to the drummer 'number 14 okay dude". *shakes head*

:D:D

Merls

18. a big part of how well me and my band play live depends on crowd response. if their loving it, we play good. if their not loving it, we don't play so good. so in between songs we interact with the crowd. most shows we'll come up with jokes, stories to introduce songs and that sorta stuff. and arse about making fun of each other and just have a laugh.

and whilst were doing this we're also working out what to play next.

Tom

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Depending on the type of gig, my behaviour tends to differ...

Party/Function for Friends/Family:

*Every few 4/5 tunes tell a funny/embarressing short story about the person/s that the party is for or about.
    *OK to drink beer/scotch (sip) in between the tunes.
    *Less strict time enforcement.
    *Check tuning every set.

Corporation Functions/Wedding Gigs:

*Less time between tunes, keeping the sets going.
    *Drink beer/scotch between sets, not between tunes. (don't let the party see you consume beverages or food)
    *Quickly Check tuning beginning and middle of the sets. (discreetly)

Bar Gigs:

*OK to Drink beer/scotch (swig/sip/gulp) during and in between tunes.
    *Looser time enforcement in between tunes.
    *chat with the crowd
    *point out the hot girls
    *thank our "solid gold dancers' in the front for shaking what they got.
    *Check tuning every set.

20. As a drummer, I just make eye with everyone to make sure they're ready to go with the next song and then count it off. As a bass player, I just make eye contact with the drummer to let him/her know I'm ready so they can count off the next number.

I still marvel at how many bands don't know what they are going to do in a set. Nothing looks more amateurish or takes the steam out of a set quicker than sitting around trying to figure out what to play next. One might as well get a big sign that says, "Hi, we don't know what we're doing, we're rookies"