In ear monitors, worth the extra $ ????

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jul 27, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Upgrading our PA, we could for about 150.00 extra duckets get IEM's. Those who have or tried them are they a lot better than normal monitors? Does it allow yourself to hear better when singing which in turn makes the vocals better, what about harmonizing? Is it a huge bennifit less stage volume to effect to FOH sound? Are there any negatives, feedback, batteries, interference? Thanks in advance!
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    We went the cheap route but it pays off anyway.
    I don't have to move, so I'm using Shure E2's. Apparently there are better sounding IEMs out there, but these do the job.

I would say they definitely help w/ harmony vox. I can hear them very clearly, and since the thing is wedged in your ear you get that whole resonation thing going on anyway.

Allows much lower stage volumes, depending on how you approach it.

Easier to haul than floor wedges!

you might feel 'disconnected' at first- or always. There are ways around that.
    If you ever need to talk to each other on stage, it can be a little problematic.

I don't use batteries, haven't had feedback or interference problems. I assume you're looking at a wireless unit- hopefully someone set up that way will respond.

Overall, I think they're usually well worth the investment.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    People either love them or hate them. And even those who like them will complain about the feeling of "Isolation". I don't think I've ever seen anyone use them without running an extra mic to pick up crowd noise and on-stage banter between band members. I guess a large part of their appeal is that they block out everything except what you want to hear, so generally speaking you'll find that singers who don't play an instrument will usually love them. Those who play an instrument tend to have trouble adapting.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i just use a broken headphone thingy as an inear monitor, and its 1000X cheaper than a real monitor.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks everyone....I think we will give them a try!
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes, far better than monitor speakers in every sense. But make sure you have enough monitor sends so everyone doesn't get the same mix, then they can suck if you can't boost your personal signal.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't want to use anything else anymore. You do feel a bit "removed" from everything--you can't hear anything else when you have them in. A lot of times, I will take one out unless I am singing. I am using a Shure UHF setup (not sure which transmitter) with E3 in-ears. Our lead vocalist and drummer also swear by them.

On the other hand, both of our guitarists don't care for them. They would rather stick with wedge monitors, for what reason I don't know. :confused: