1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In need of a new interface; One that sounds 'neutral'.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by cnltb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Hi,
    As the title suggests, I am looking for an audio interface to run with Logic X.
    Something that sounds more neutral than my duet, which is WAY too 'beige' for me.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
    Thanks,
    :)

2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'm not sure what beige sounds like (lol btw), but I use a tascam us1800 and its definitely a clean-sounding interface with lots of inputs and options. You might not need all the ins and outs that it provides but consider looking at the interfaces tascam offers. You might find something that you like.

I also have a zoom r16, which I like well enough. The preamp is clean but somehow lacks some "oomph," and doesn't have a ton of headroom. I think I'd describe it as "sterile," which might actually work for your purposes. I've found that recording at low levels, or just using it as a straight interface and not as a standalone recording device works well.

3. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    Focusrite has a reputation of clean sound.

4. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What's your budget? Are you unhappy with the Mic Pre's or the converters?

You can't go wrong with a Babyface Pro.

Gideon352 likes this.
  5. Gideon352

Gideon352 Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    My UAD Apollo (without any Unison preamp models engaged) sounds very neutral and clean. Hope this helps! :bassist:

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A certain 'warmth'. a mid focused tone.
    I don't like that. :)

I want to warm up the sound myself, when I want to and only when I want to.

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The babyface pro is in the running at the moment, as is the fire face icx.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Is the sound characteristic you don’t like occurring on the AD or DA side of the equation?

9. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I use a Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. A lot of headroom, good preamps, dynamic and very transparent with all kinds of instruments for all kinds of music. But it works best with Studio One 3 DAW, they are made by the same company Presounus. Thus, I wouldn't know if your interface or your DAW will work well with the Studio One 3 DAW or the interface you have.

If you don't mind converting DAWs check out the YouTube reviews and tutorials of the Studio One 3 DAW.