Incredible Bass Playing In Anime

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by socialleper, Jul 27, 2022.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Despite being a grown @$$ man, I have plummeted down an anime rabbit hole over the last two years. The shame of that aside, I have learned that the Japanese have a respect for bass that isn't seen in a lot of modern American or European music anymore. They can really lay down some spectacular bass lines in anime opening or closing songs.

Out of boredom, and curiosity to see the reactions, I'm going to start posting anime related songs that I think have some fantastic playing on them. Musically, I find these songs fascinating. As to the shows they are from...well...don't judge.

If someone reading this has knows an OP or ED that they think has a notable bass line, please feel free to share.

31HZ, jmattis, MonetBass and 15 others like this.
  2. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    This is the first one that really grabbed me. The song is a fun number that is the musical equivalent of Adderall. The bass player in it is shredding for 4 minutes straight, adding to the hyper, insane, super Japanese vibe of the song.
    As to the rest of the performances, among the woman singing are four of my favorite Japanese voice actresses.

3. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    This is a jamming track that nails the Spy\Assassin vibe of the show. The bass doesn't start to kick in until about a minute in, then it really goes for it.

DJ Bebop and FeltTipPen like this.
  4. I watch some anime but listen to the music moreso. You're right, there's so much good music and bass playing!

Totally different music vibe from your example (I can also dig the high energy vibe) but this is one of my current favorites:

Benko, FilterFunk, Mark_70 and 7 others like this.
  5. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    This is more of a straight ahead alt rock song, in English even. The lyrics don't make much sense without the context of the show, but it is pretty incredible in context. The bass starts of simple, but really illustrates some great "pocket" playing. Sound like a keyboard at first, but livens up a little bit into the song.

6. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My love for Band Maid is already well established. The fact that they did an anime opening is just icing on the cake. This particular season bombed, which is unfortunate, but the song is still awesome. MISA is the stuff.

6-3-2, fig, claudel and 2 others like this.
  7. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    This one has a interesting retro swing to it that fits the 50/60s spy vibe of the show. The bass line has some real groove.

fig and FeltTipPen like this.
  8. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I haven't watched this show yet, but Maximum The Hormone is like a Japanese Mudvayne or System of A Down. Their bass player is awesome, and this song is a banger.

31HZ, Hypocrite and FeltTipPen like this.
  9. I know of Yoko Kanno from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, which is killer if you haven't heard it already!

I totally dig Band-Maid and love MISA and remember reading your praises here on TB. Would love to catch them live one day!

And my daughter was watching Death Note and showed me that Maximum the Hormone track. Normally she doesn't dig stuff like that but MtH got her attention.

Good stuff here on this thread!

Nuage420, Joebone, TyBo and 4 others like this.
  10. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The bass playing on this one is lower in the mix, but if you pay close attention you can hear what sounds like some very solid upright grooving.
    This anime was the one that made me realize that anime could be more than kiddie stuff like Pokemon or Dragonball Z. I adore the voice actress, and the character she is performing the song as. The style of the music is so pertinent to the episodes it is used for.

PrinceByTor and FeltTipPen like this.
  11. Many consider anime for kids because of the popularity of shows like Pokemon (which I did watch and still have a soft spot :D) but as you've found it's a whole world of multiple genres! To me it seems (and correct me if I am wrong) that composers are more open to different styles of music in anime and also open to different styles within compositions as well.

That last track does have some sweet bass playing!

PrinceByTor and socialleper like this.
  12. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The largest portion is what I used to generically referred to as "anime music." There is a certain style that is common in anime. Some I skip right over. Others I watch every time. There are some other good ones I like, but they don't necessarily have bass lines. Like the music to The Saga of Tanya the Evil is incredible.

"That last track does have some sweet bass playing!"
    All of the music to the Monogatari series is top notch. Many of the OPs have nice arrangements that include some good bass playing. I posted that one because I am partial to it. Even the background music in the episodes is engaging. I liked Ghost In The Shell for a long time because it is very different kind of anime. I didn't pay much attention to anime until I watched Monogatari, and it changed my mind about what anime could be.
    A lot of it is still exactly what people think it is. But every once in a while something surprises me.

FeltTipPen and PrinceByTor like this.
  13. The bass in the chorus of this tune always blows me away:

14. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    There are some talented musicians involved for sure but I can't help feeling like I've heard most of it before, just in a different packaging. It feels like most of the songs are just a pastiche of various styles/genres but with different production values. More up-tempo and with more intense arrangements/mixing but not really that exiting or groundbreaking IMO. Having said that, a lot of interesting music is happening in Japan these days and I know I've only scratched the surface.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  15. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Japanese Fear Factory?

16. PrinceByTor

PrinceByTor

May 25, 2019
    Spokane, Wa

Far and gone the best bass I’ve heard in anime; I believe it was done by a band called Typhoon 24.

Great bass here too from the anime Macross Dynamite 7; which is a movie from the series Macross 7. That’s Yoshiki Fukuyama and his band at the time Hummingbird.

Old-school anime Tenchi Muyo; it might be a keyboard bass on that one.

*fixed video link*

Nebraska, tyohars, FeltTipPen and 3 others like this.
  17. +1 for the Seatbelts, but no links? Lemme rectify that:

FeltTipPen, Nuage420, Joebone and 3 others like this.
  18. PrinceByTor

PrinceByTor

May 25, 2019
    Spokane, Wa
    Anything written/performed by Yoko Kanno is spectacular.

Nebraska, FeltTipPen and VoodooJazz like this.
  19. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    I watch a lot of anime and I am a huge Black Clover fan :D There's a lot of anime themes that I'm not sure is an actual bass ... a lot sound like a bass guitar VSTi like a Solemn Tones Kraken or Loki....same thing with guitar

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  20. pluki7

pluki7

Feb 12, 2019
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Anything by supercell. Like the OP for Guilty Crown.