Indian Laurel Fretboard Care

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dainick, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Dainick

Dainick

Jan 1, 2019
    Swansea
    Hi everyone, new user and never posted in a forum before so I hope I'm putting this question in the right place .
    I have a Squier jazz bass which has an indian laurel fret board, what is the best way to clean and condition it? Is lemon oil ok or?
    Thanks in advance.

2. butterfingers1 and Dainick like this.
  3. Dainick

Dainick

Jan 1, 2019
    Swansea
    Awesome that was the stuff I was considering, thanks for the reply. :bassist:

PockySteve likes this.
  4. taosword

taosword

Dec 9, 2016
    Maintaining enough humidity is more important than any conditioning or oiling you do to a fretboard.

Dainick and RSBBass like this.
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Which, if memory serves, should not be a problem in Swansea...;)
    Well, first; If you fretboard's been sealed at the factory - and, according to what I've read; if it's dark, it probably has been - then you don't need to use anything on it. If not? You can use a number of things on it - if you want; and yes, Dunlop 65 works quite well (I've used it myself). But, unless the bass is living somewhere where humidity is just a word in the dictionary (like mine do), just keeping it clean and wiping it down with a clean cloth occasionally, should suffice... And, like I said; if memory serves, Swansea is plenty humid enough...:cool:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Dainick likes this.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Treat it like rosewood. I won't comment on whether or not you should use lemon oil, linseed, tru-oil, neatsfoot oil or peanut butter. No one agrees, not users, not luthiers, not technicians. But if you treat it the way you would treat rosewood you will be happy.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I like Music Nomads F-One oil. After every string change I use it on my rosewood fingerboards.

Dainick and 60bass like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If you look close and check the Indian laurel fretboard carefully, it has a grey tint or coat on the surface. I own one Squier jazz bass with laurel board in past, since I hate it grey dead wood like fretboard, I try minwax stain on it, surprised me that the wood dint assob the stain at all even I leave it more than 24 hours.
    I gave up stain so I use Dunlop fretboard condition to clean those stain which left on wooden seam, surprised me again the condition possible clean it easily.

To prove the laurel board use on Squier bass are coated/tinted or not, I sand the wood surface on last fret. Bingo!!! I sand out the coat and the wood shown it own colour ~ dull light light brown colour.

Later I cover the bare wood area with minwax stain again.

So, base on my experience, fretboard condition dint work on coated Indian laurel fretboard use on Squier bass.

I believe only FMIC knew what they did.

I also found my previous Cort Action dlx V jotoba fretboard has similar coat but with nicer brownish tone compare to grey dead wood tone on Squier.

Hopehelp

butterfingers1 and Dainick like this.
  9. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Same here, Squier CV laurel fretboard, grey and lifeless, ruined the whole appearance of this otherwise gorgeous white bass.

I lightly but thoroughly sanded the fretboard with extra fine grit sandpaper to remove any finish, which I think there was as the sandpaper would gunk up every few frets at first. Then the Dunlop fretboard oil. The board is now dark and lustrous.

The big surprise is the tone changed. It used to be cold and hard, now it is noticeably warmer and rounder, almost like the fretboard went from plastic to wood.

Yahboy and Dainick like this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'll embellish. I use and swear-by Howard's Feed 'n Wax. Why? Because I have a big bottle of the stuff which will still have 2/3's of its contents when I shuffle-off this mortal coil. Apply a scant amount, quickly rub-in, and just as quickly remove with a soft cloth. Do NOT allow to marinate as these preparations have a nasty habit of wicking-up thru exposed end grain including fret slots.

Riis

Dainick and butterfingers1 like this.
  11. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    So Dainick, what have you done with your laurel fingerboard?

12. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    I don't like to use F&W where I will be touching the surface. These are the published warnings about use of the product:
    "When using do not eat or drink. Avoid breathing mist or vapor. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Avoid prolonged or repeated contact with skin. Wash thoroughly after handling."

To be fair, there may not be a lot of the product left on the surface of the fretboard. But I prefer products that don't have these warnings.

Dainick likes this.
  13. Dainick

Dainick

Jan 1, 2019
    Swansea
    Been using the Formula 65 lemon oil, every 6 months take off the strings and give it a good clean and finish with the oil, kept it looking lovely so far.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I use universal precautions when handling virtually everything...gloves, eye protection, ventilation, etc.. Here's the MSDS: https://www.howardproducts.com/files/sds/HOW-100_Feed-N-Wax-1.pdf

Riis

Dainick likes this.
  15. Dainick

Dainick

Jan 1, 2019
    Swansea
    I have noticed though the intonation goes out quite often on mine so the cleaning gives me the time to set it up again.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  16. Dainick

Dainick

Jan 1, 2019
    Swansea
    Here’s a question, do any of you use thread lock on the parts for setting the intonation? I’d imagine it would help keep it set.

17. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Now that's curious and not normal.

Riis

18. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes...what's slipping?

Riis

19. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  20. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    You didn’t need to sand it initially to remove the finish to allow the oil to get to the wood?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022