Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive 7-string basses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Do you think Dean or Brice would step into the breach now that Conklin no longer make the GT-7??

I know Galveston are out there - anyone else I should be aware of ?

Bill

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Conklin reportedly has another "value-priced" 7 stringer in the works.

Nothing else out there that I'm aware of.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Used GT 7's can be found on ebay .

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    When did Conklin stop making the GT basses?

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not sure, but you'll notice they're not on the website anymore.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Yeah, I just checked that out. That's a real shame. I'm not much of an ERB player myself, but I thought it was great that Conklin was able to provide a good quality taster for guys who wanted to have a stab at this type of instrument.

Was any reason given, or did they simply disappear?

7. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    Despite that, I'd assume poor sales, i mean, most people that can get ERBs can get realy nice ones, so I don't know if there really is the market. Could be totally wrong, though.

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

You might have a point. I guess the thing with Korean made instruments is that they probably rely on large quantities to help reduce the manufacturing cost.

Still, it's a shame.

9. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, it's a shame that the GrooveTools are gone. I haven't tested the Galveston basses, but from the looks of things, they are of a much simpler build quality than the GTs.

Of course a 7-stringer aren't going to be a "mass-market" product... I see two possible reasons for the halt in production: Either Conklin Guitars couldn't put their name on the headstock for quality reasons, or the manufacturer couldn't defend the cost of production because of poor sales.

I'll just have to hang on to my GT7, then... :) I'd never pay a full price for a custom 7-stringer, as I'm not confident enough in playing them, but since I could get a decent quality 7-stringer at an affordable price, I thought it was a great chance of getting one.

So I guess I'm the typical target audience for such instruments! :D

Maybe it's the New Century line that will take over for the GTs? Although they are slightly more expenssive, they are built in the Conklin factory... so raise the price a little, and get the "real" thing... :)

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    With out putting Conklin and Cort's business out,The Conklin GT series was not discontinued because of poor sales(they had an idea in the beginning what to pretty much expect from such an oddity even at what most would consider a decent price for an entry level 7 string Bass)it was not about the poor sale of the Conklin GT 7 string bass.remember there was also a Conklin GT 7 string guitar as well and lets not forget the 4 and 5 string GT's that were also offered and they are no longer being offered either.The Conklin/Cort collaboration produced some very nice quality instruments for the money and the best entry level 7 string bass to date.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    heh, I fell in love with the GT-7's right after they stopped production :mad:

Conklin, bring them back, for me!

Please? :(

12. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    You should be able to find them on eBay. :)