Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZOPHAR, Dec 4, 2003.

Oct 1, 2003
    Can anyone help me with information on
    the Gibson Les Paul "Recorder" bass?
    Circa 1970's
    Any info on quality, value etc. will be welcome.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IIRC (and I could be wrong), the bass model wasn't called the Recorder, it was called the Triumph. I believe the earlier version of the guitar model was called the Personal, and the successor was called the Recording. I used to have a Les Paul Recording guitar, but I never played one of the basses. I did see someone playing one once, at a high school dance 30 years ago, but I don't remember anything about how it sounded. It was a short- or medium-scale instrument (30" or 32") rather than a long-scale one (34"), and if it was anything like the guitar version, it was probably fairly low-output.

No idea what the value might be. I have recently seen Recordings (i.e., the guitars, not the basses) being sold for prices in the mid-teens (e.g., around $1500), but I can't remember the last time I even saw a Triumph.

Sorry, that's all I've got.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh, really? And what experience do you base this on?
  4. I believe Richard is correct on all counts. I couldn't find anything on the bass yet, but here's the guitar.

I'm searching for the bass right now. I believe Treena Foster owns one. We'll find out soon.

5. Sorry guys. I tried 3 times, but can't get the page I found to load properly.

I'll be back.

6. Success! :hyper:

Not much info, but at least a picture. Third photo down.

Just above it is a G-3. I used to own one, but it was natural with a maple board. I never knew it was designed in cooperation with Bill Lawrence.

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for all the great info folks.
    I might buy it just for the novelty.
    Besides it is a Gibson!!!
  8. I played a "Recording" Lester Bass in the early 80s. The action sucked, but I'm sure a guitar tech could have helped.

The sound was muddy, the thing weighed a ton, and the electronics were not unlike the old EB-3, in other words overdone with pickup configs and only one setting really had any clarity...

...Of course I'm going from memory here, but when I was given the choice between going onstage with the Recording or a Fender Mustang, the Fender won out hands down...

..From a novelty point of view, now that I think of it, the guy who owned it at the time said it was just for "lookin' at"...:rolleyes: