Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Info Requested on PLEK / Peekamoose in NYC

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jun 15, 2005.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've heard of PLEK before and read nonsqtr's testimonials in a 2004 thread which has me interested in this technique. My question is this, has anyone had the PLEK done at Peekamoose in NYC? They just started doing PLEK setups in May so maybe no one has gotten a PLEK setup done there.

If you haven't had a PLEK, but have had work done at Peekamoose, I'd like to hear your comments on them as well. I'm kinda nervous about shipping my bass to complete strangers for setup work, so some good/great references would ease my worried mind.

Thanks a bunch for your replies! :)

2. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Oh, lookin' fer a timely reply, are ya? :D Looks like I'll have to check my PMs. :)

3. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I guess no one here has used Peekamoose?

(bump before this falls off the first page)

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm having my Roscoe Beck PLEK'ed at Peekamoose right now. After 6 years, the action's been getting increasingly unplayable (too high in the low register, fretting out in the upper register), and I figured it could use the maintenance.

I'll let you all know how the PLEK job goes.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What's PLEK, other than the sound my cat makes when coughing up a hairball?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's essentially a robot that dresses frets very precisely. What CNC is to making guitar necks and bodies, PLEK is to setting them up.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Update on this. I got the bass back a week ago. It now plays superbly. The action goes very low now with minimal buzzing. Compared to the washtub-bass action it had when I brought it in, it plays like a new instrument.

Conclusion: PLEK is expensive, but it definitely works! If you're just in need of a basic setup, just get the basic setup. However, if you're getting fretwork done, you might as well have the PLEK machine do it.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What did it cost, if I may be so bold as to ask?

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    $250, which also covers nutwork and bridge adjustments. The PLEK machine considers them essential parts of the setup.

But that's a New York price. I expect that it would probably be lower in other parts of the country.

10. jahn

jahn

Sep 4, 2007
    NYC
    I have a strat that is THIS close to needing a complete refret, so Peekamoose is PLEKing it to a robotic level of grind and polish to see if we can revive the strat without going for such a pricey refret option. I'll let you guys know how it goes.