1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Innovation Super Silver

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by RustyAxe, May 29, 2012.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I restrung my Strunal 50/4 with Innovation Super Silvers (took off the Spirocore Mittels, which I never liked) about four days ago. Played three gigs since, and brother, these strings can stretch. Every time I've picked up the bass the strings have been at least one semi-tone flat. No problem (yet) but wondering if those who use these strings can tell me how long before they "settle in".

So far I like the strings. Right tone and feel for the simple country and bluegrass I'm mostly playing these days, and did fine for a jazz/blues gig I did over the weekend. I like the lower tension a lot.

2. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    It's been a year or so since I had my Super Silvers on, but I don't remember any tuning issues. As I remember, they were pretty stable.
    I'm with you on the tone. I was in a bluegrass, then an alt country band, and they were just the ticket, easy on the hands, too.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    They usually settle in in a relatively short length of time, like a couple of days at most.

Do you have one winding on one side of the string hole on the tuner shaft and three on the other?

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    They seem to be getting better ... only been on since Friday, and only a few hours on 'em. No, I took the bass to a local bass luthier because it needed some work on the nut slots and bridge to accomodate the heavier gauge. Now that I look closely at how it was strung, I'm a little miffed that he didn't do a neater job. I string my acoustic six string and four string bass guitars neatly, just as you say. If it doesn't settle in by the weekend, I'll rewind them on the posts. Thanks for the reply.

He left the strings quite long, with several wraps of silks around the pegs and a long tail. Looks quite messy. I don't suppose there's any harm in cutting them if I restring it ... is there?

I'm pretty new to the bass (less than two years) so this forum is quite useful.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I don't trim the extra lengths unless asked to do so, I just tuck them in behind neatly. Some players want to be able to try their strings on different instruments and might need the extra length on their other bass.

There's no reason you can't trim them, just don't give them a buzz cut! ;)

6. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I have a set of super silvers myself and I love them! I do want to take the plunge into gut strings. Is there anyone out there that can give me a side by side comparison? Is it that much better to play guts that I should switch?

7. I've played super silver and guts (from Lenzner all the way to Gamut), and the super silvers are a good string and quite 'gutty'.

Not as gutlike (for me) as Velvet Blues, but good. It can be hard to hear the pitch on them- like gut! They're a nice soft tension, nice to play and really boomed on my Christopher flatback.

My big problem with the Super Silvers was I found them impossible to bow. They're too slippery.