Installed Brand new tweeter, still no sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tokonuk, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    I installed a brand new tweeter (same P.Audio model it comes with) into my GK 410sbx cab today, but there is no sound being produced. Mic'd a cone and the tweeter up and recorded to be sure my ears weren't tricking me.

Before purchasing, I checked the tweeter protection lamps and wiring on the backplate, and all appears fine to me. I also tested the old tweeter with a 1.5 volt battery, and did not hear a pop when connecting the respected wires to the battery.

I'm starting to think my test was faulty, the old tweeter's fine, and something else is the culprit. Is there anything else I can check? I'll post pictures of the backplate tomorrow.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Fault in the crossover or hi pass filter?
    Check both tweeters with another source.

Old Garage-Bander and Stumbo like this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You don’t test a tweeter with a battery! That test is only for woofers. Replace the protection lamp. Sometimes it’s really hard to tell if the filament has failed.

bobcruz and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Vincneus

Vincneus

Jul 26, 2016
    Groningen
    load up a 5kHz test tone on youtube, disconnect the speakers from your home stereo, connect the tweeter to one of the wires. Should show if it works or not. If the tweeter works, it's probably your crossover that's faulty. If it is your crossover you can ask an audio-dude to rebuild the current crossover but then with components that have higher power handling OR just replace it with an off the shelf crossover with sufficient power handling and proper crossover frequency

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Mine was shot in my Markbass cabinet. Not really a crossover, but a high-pass filter. I took it to the local automobile audio shop & got it repaired.

6. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    Here are pics of the lamps. They appear totally fine to me, but I guess i'm not sure what to look for. I HOPE they're what's wrong and I can send the new tweeter back to US Speaker.
    And @Vincneus to do this test, could I use the wire connecting my left Presonus Eris Monitor to the right, and just connect it to the tweeter? The amps for both speakers are in the left speaker, so I'd still hear sound out of that one, but connecting the red/black leads to the tweeter would get the job done right? Thanks.

If either of these are the case, I just need to find me a pro audio guy

7. Killed_by_Death

TBH I've had a few beers & you're confusing me.
    When I tested my tweeter, I literally wired it to my cellphone & just played a MP3 song over it.
    You'll ruin a 3.5mm stereo cable doing it, but I had some laying around.

Any known working audio source will work fine, as long as it's not crazy loud.

8. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    No worries man! Alright I have a 3.5 mm I don't mind ruining, I just don't understand how to properly connect that to the positive and negative terminals of the tweeter.

9. Killed_by_Death

If you're going to do it like that, the common wire should be noticeably different, as it will probably just be stranded wire w/o an inside jacket.

31aTxOomq2L.jpg
    see the silver wire at the bottom?, it's the common wire
    now just use that & either of the other wires (but not both)

Tokonuk likes this.
  10. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    Awesome. Thank you @Killed_by_Death this proved the old tweeter to be shot, and the new tweeter to be just fine.

So I'm glad I didn't waste my money, now I guess I gotta find someone smarter than I am to look at the back panel one of these days.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022