1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing removable casters on a carpeted amp - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    With my buddies band, we used a few of these to move heavier cabs and amps and stuff. Though I'd recommend the type with 5 inch wheels. They will handle bumps, pavement cracks and door sills much better than the 3 inch wheels. And they will hold quite a lot of weight.

I have moved 800 pound fire safes on two of these in the past. And they are compact enough to be stored almost anywhere. And they don't cost much and every Menards or some such store has them! So if you ned one replaced out of town, they got you covered!

And with the carpeted bunks, your carpeted cab will not slide around too much. Nor will it damage the carpet like velcro eventually will.

[​IMG]

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Would installing pop-out removable casters in a sealed cab cause leaks?

3. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Saddly yes, but would anyone notice it, I don't know ...
    :bag:

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Do you think using a foaming/expanding glue like Gorilla Glue in the holes fix the leaks?

5. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    This should do it

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    :D

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Never mind. I'm pretty sure it's a sealed cab and I don't think the insert cups for the pop-out casters are sealed themselves.

On to plan B.

8. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    If installed properly, IMO, They shouldn't pose any more of a problem than the jack-plate.

I have found however, most caster inserts are manufactured poorly. There can be minute slits in the portion that protrudes into the cab, that when playing loudly will produce a lot of unwanted noise, even in a ported cab. I usually wrap them with black electricians tape but you could seal them with silicon caulk. Once they are sealed and screwed on tight, there will be no air leaks. Like most have stated however, they are only good on very smooth surfaces unless they are bolted on. I'd go with either a dolly or cart if you intend to roll from the parking lot.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Small amounts of air leakage are not a problem as long as they don't make audible whistling. Indeed, they can provide air pressure equalization.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Good call on the electrical tape, and I had planned on using bolts.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Good to know!

12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The Epifani removable castors are a little pricey, but don't require any drilling. These are the ones I mentioned before. The plate attached with wood screws and the castors slide and clip into the plates. Also comes with 4 rubber feet that attach with wood screws so the cab will rest on the feet and not the plates if you want to remove the castors.

Sorry if I missed it, but are you looking to take them off so you can stack the combo on another cab?

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I wish I knew about those before I bought the Ernie Ball ones by mail order! I'm wanting to remove them on the off chance that I want to put the combo either on the floor or on an extension cab.

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yesterday I just replaced all the casters and sockets on both of my 100 lb Mesa cabinets.
    This is the 2nd time in 18yrs I replaced them, and yes with bumpy usage you'll eventually have to replace them too, but that's why they're pretty inexpensive (~$20 bucks a set for the Ernie Balls).

So I figure twice in 18yrs is pretty darn good mileage considering these things been to hell and back. I remember the last time I installed them was back in '96.

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Mesa Boogie ones are the same way. But when they're over 100 bucks a set comapared to 20 bucks a set....

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Now that's a ringing endorsement! I'm going to install my set of Ernie Ball's with bolts so it's just the casters/sockets that wear out - not the bottom of my combo cabinet. I think I'll also eventually get myself one of those folding hand trucks to make getting it to and from the car easier.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Any caster type can be had cheaper if you aren't buying it from the music company. Also you can often find a kind you like better. I like 3" or 4" inset wheel wells along the back ferinstance, tiltback stylee.

18. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Ummm, NO. I did just that and it ripped almost ALL the carpet off. It was wrapped around the dill-bit, flailing like something from an automated car wash.

19. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Operative word: shouldn't

Didn't tear the all the carpet off any of mine. Maybe I'm some sort of expert pro drill user guy.

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I think I'm going to position the caster inserts where I want them, draw around them to mark the circle, and then cut out that circle of carpet. That way the caster inserts are flush to the wood rather than the carpet. I don't have a drill bit that is large enough for the insert shaft so I need to use a drill rasp, and that would snag the carpet for sure.