1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Installing removable casters on a carpeted amp - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 13, 2009.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm purchasing a Yorkville combo amp that is covered with blue carpet :)D), and I want to install Ernie Ball removable casters on it. Do I need to cut away the carpet where the caster insterts are going to go or should I just drill through the carpet?

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Drill through the carpet. Shouldn't be any problem at all. Since all the carpet is spray-glued, it shouldn't come off any more than where the drill bit is.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks! That's what I was hoping for! I just wasn't sure how thick amp carpet is.

4. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Just please don't drill too deep that you punch a hole in your speaker. That would ruin your day. The carpet is probably very thin. This ain't '70's shag we're talking about.

5. bluedyna

bluedyna

Dec 4, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I mounted removable casters on my Avatar cab. 3 of them fell out leaving a gig. Bought surface mount casters at Lowes..problem solved

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I definitely think I'm going to remove the speaker before I start drilling. I installed these in an am I used to own without removing the speakers and got a bunch of wood shavings inside my amp. This way I can vacuum them out before replacing the speaker.

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    If your not completely sold on the casters lowes carries a folding hand truck that I would recommend for $40. Mine has served me very well and you wont have to modify your cabinets.

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That's a great idea - I've already got the casters, though.

Hmmm......

9. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    removable casters are a bad idea. You'll eventually break one off and wreck your cabinet, the wheel are too small for everything but wheeling on carpet and indoor floors (parking lots, forget it), you'll lose one or more, and taking them out is a complete and total pain in the *** and your hands will get filthy doing it, covered with dirt and eventually oil from the bearings. Also, eventually they will stick in and you won't be able to get them out without a tool.

Get a dolly, with BIG wheels - you can go up and down stairs and curbs with it, you only need to buy one for all your cabs, and it won't wreck the cabs or their resale value, not to mention your hands.

The voice of experience...

This one is fabulous:

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/compact-luggage-hand-trucks/wescosuperlitefoldinghandtruck.cfm

Super-quiet, folds small, holds a lot, the bass players' best friend. Just do it.

The one in post #7 above looks like a REALLY good deal - do that if you can.

Cheers,
    Cameron

10. Woodell

Woodell

Jan 13, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    I had one of these. They are not very durable, at least the one I had was not. Make sure the wheels don't try to toe in when rolling with a load.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Those folding handcarts are $23 at Costco
    But a dolly board with the hook side of velcro stuck down works great. Velcro sticks to the rug fine - not too much. And you can pull it off when you need to set the cab on a chair or table.

12. Woodell

Woodell

Jan 13, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    I finally found a good cart at Harbor Freight. It holds up to 330 pounds, has really nice wheels, the base is adjustable for longer loads, and it folds really flat.

I can easily carry my bass and guitar amps and still have room to put the cart in with all the rest of my gear. As shown in the picture, the handle and the base are fully extended. A picture of it folded up would be nice. I got mine for $32 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92624&Submit=Go[​IMG]

13. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Hmm...I've had removeable casters on (give or take) ten cabinets, and didn't have the problems y'all have had. I've used the stock Carvin casters, the Ernie Balls, and some that I got from a supply store. All have worked great. Granted, I'm not off-roading them or bouncing them over cobblestones...and if I get to a curb or a bump, I'll lift the front of the cabinet instead of trying to bounce it up onto the lip.

That being said, my favorite wheels were the tilt-back kind on my Berg NV610. Great wheels, but not removeable.

I've also used dollies, and besides not knowing where or having space to put them when you're playing, they've been pretty unstable. I gave up on dollies and caster boards, and just went with removeable casters. Or non-removeable ones...didn't really matter. Just go with industrial strength and you're golden.

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I have removable castors and have a folding hand truck like linked two up. I have had no problems with the removable castors. They also allow you to remove the back two castors and get a little tiltback if you want.

Just screw right through the carpet with the wood screws.

15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I actually plan on drilling holes where the screws would go and using bolt. That way there's no stress on screw threads pulling on wood. If I were going to be moving this amp a lot or over rough ground I'd definitely use a dolly, though.

I'm going to look into the costco one.

16. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    That's cool if you're going to pull a speaker and put a nut on the bolt.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about if you use wood screws with the castors; or you'd be worried about other parts falling apart on the cab.

17. After gigging for 40 years I have tried them all. But one thing to be very aware of is this. If you go with putting wheeles on your rig and you gig ALOT sooner or later one of those screws on a wheel will work itself loose then tears up the wood. then when you have to move the wheel or mount (removable type) to a slightly different location and drill more holes further weakening the area and so on. Soon you will degrade the corner of the cab to where its mush. I've had this happen two times and have gone back to dollies for big piles of gear
    Now I'm moving to gear thats so light weight I don't need either one.

18. +1
    After forty years of bass playing, I've concluded that casters are necessary for any heavy bass cab (IMHO). I can't recall having any problems, and I've rolled over cobblestones, brick, etc. A hand cart can be great for transport, but useless if you need to reposition your rig after setting up onstage.

Be aware, though, that if you're installing removable (pop-out) casters, a large center hole must be drilled to accommodate the receptor cup. Make sure there is no bracing or screws from the original cab construction that are in the way.

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've got all I need to make the correct size hole. I drilled blindly last time and got lucky. I'm going to remove the speaker and make sure I know where I'm drilling this time. I do plan on using bolts and locking washers to install the receptor caps to reduce the stress on the wood and eliminate the possibility of stripping screws.

20. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Ah, I get what your saying. Didn't realize they were the pop-in castors. I have the plate type that you can slide out. The wood screws work for the plate.

Good luck with the install.