Instrument or Speaker Cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Is this Monster cable an Instrument or Speaker cable. I can't tell.

Monster Cable
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

3. Ok, good. Thanks a lot. How did you find that? I think I am getting dumber.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    #2, trs is always instrument. #1 part of it called it patch cable - always instrument. generally a cable will be clearly advertised as speaker cable if it is.
  5. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    Monster, and other manufacturers, sell both. It depends what any given cable is labelled.
  6. Thanks for the info. My guitarist uses those cables and his Mesa Triple Rectifier crapped out on him awhile ago and I was wondering if that was the reason why, but I guess not.
  7. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If he was using those cables as speaker cables then that might have been the reason it crapped out. You should never use instrument cables as speaker cables, they aren't designed to take that kind of power.
  8. I never new there was a difference, just thought I could plug in one of those short GC giutar cables and be O.K?......How do I know the diff and what are the advantages??...Man there is so much I don't know.. guess I thought 1/4 inch was 1/4 inch....Hmmm
  9. asmith

Nov 19, 2004
    There are a few things to consider with cables -

1. Quality of plug (and material), which is semi-important
    2. Gauge of cable, which for instrument is semi-important but for speaker cable is really a pretty important issue if you've got a lot of power
    3. Whether the plug is stereo or mono (most are mono; if there are two rings it may very well be stereo)

For instrument cable the connection needs to be secure to the instrument and the receiving device (first pedal, amp, whatever) and should be decently thick and definitely shielded, especially if you're around lots of equipment.

Speaker cables should match for matching applications - i.e. if you've got an amp powering two cabs, the gauges should be the same to be totally safe. It will work the other way, but you're running a risk. I personally run 12 gauge cable with speakons to my two cabs, and use D'Addario's "Planet Waves" cables when I'm not wireless - their plugs are really good and the cables are super solid.

My $.03