1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Jackson E, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Do you personally insure your gear that you take on the road, or do you rely on whomever you're touring with? I've found that not all artist whether large or small insure whats in the trailer behind the bus. If you do personally insure your gear can you recommend a company to use. My policy just ran out, and I'm looking for an alternative before summer really kicks in, and I'm on the road. I think it would be safer and smarter to have a personal insurance plan even if the artist has things covered. I appreciate the input.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Everything I have is insured, and insured doubly so when it's out on the road as well, since the artist has their own insurance, most always.

I use MusicPro Insurance. It's fine, I guess. I wish their website was a little better, but you can update your inventory online. I was connected to them via ASCAP.

Best,
    JMJ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, MusicPro seems very inexpensive, too. $100 a year for every $10,000 worth of gear? And only a $100 deductible? Hell, I don't even bring that much gear to road gigs and I'm now considering it. I don't see how you could beat that.

4. Thank you. That seems to be the most common company I get from everyone I ask.

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    very very good.

6. secombs

secombs

Oct 28, 2003
    St Louis, MO
    I've used them too. They are great.

7. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    This seems almost too good to be true. I believe it if you all say it's legit & ASCAP is recommending them. Have any of you ever actually made a claim through them?

-John

8. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Nope, not I.

9. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    i have. here's the kicker: it was my band's insurance, not mine. all they needed was the policy number and police report case number. it's pretty great. you don't even have to replace item for item. for example, the things i had covered were a mim jazz bass, an swr goliath sr, and about $450 worth of my pedalboard. with the insurance coverage you can just give them a list of whatever you want and they can get it for wholesale price, so you can get more and/or better gear than you started with. i was able to get a traynor yba200, berg nv610, pedaltrain pt-jrhc, mxr carbon copy, bbe optostomp, and a devi ever cherry pop. awesome, right?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ah, there's the rub, huh? You don't get paid in cash, but they buy you new gear wholesale? Do you get to choose the gear or do they have a certain list of manufacturers you have to buy from? What happens if you stuff is vintage and not made anymore?

You know, it sounds like it worked out well for you, but I'd rather have the cash.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, just went to the website and got this info:

"You will be paid the actual cash value, if the equipment is not replaced. Your instruments will be valued at replacement cost, if replaced. Replacement items are to be substantially identical to what was stolen or damaged. If an item is no longer being made, a similar item that performs the same functions will be allowed."

This, to me, sounds like if you have vintage or hard to find equipment, you may not get it replaced unless you're willing to accept something new. Am I wrong?

12. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    no i think you're right about the vintage stuff. it worked out great for me because all my stuff is still current production. but they can get rare stuff that's not in the big box places too. i got a bergantino cab and a devi ever pedal, they just don't get as good a deal on them

13. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    Speaking of insurance, I was thinking, do big-time musicians ever have insurance for their fingers? You hear those stories about models having their legs or face insured by Lloyd's of London.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It says on Wikipedia that Lloyd's insured Keith Richards' fingers and Celine Dion's vocal chords. I imagine there are still some others who do it.

15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have MusicPro too. I had a claim with them, a broken truss rod on a custom made Linc Luthier bass. I had to have a letter sent from Linc stating it was one-of-a-kind, a letter from my local tech stating that it extensive damage and would never be the same again, and a letter from myself stating how it happened. They sent the entire replacement value of the bass. I bought another bass and had the Linc fixed (although it's never going to be exactly the same--kind of like a car that has been on a frame-stretcher).

I've been happy with MusicPro, especially since my claim. However, I'm wondering if there are any other companies with better rates out there...although I think MusicPro is fairly cheap.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it's been my experience that if you have a good insurance company, nickel and diming their rates (especially musicpro's very reasonable rates) is probably not a good idea.

17. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I think, with service like that, you know where you need to stay. That's awesome.

JMJ

18. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007

Wow, they didn't even ask for pictures!

I haven't been gigging at all this year(been moving around a lot) but when I settle down and start gigging again, I'll be sure to insure my gear with these guys.

19. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, Lakland Basses
    My gear is covered through my renters insurance. Even when on the road, if I let them know that I am removing my gear from my home, they will insure it for 30 days at a time. I have Allstate, but I know other auto and home insurance companies do this too. By the way, It's always a good idea to have pictures of all your gear as proof of ownership.

20. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the insight on MusicPro Ins JMJ. I have a little more piece of mind when I gig the dirt holes I do :)