1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting 8-string on e-bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    looks pretty nice but their control lay out is horrible

2. i would buy that for less than £250! ok, it'll probably go for more, but still, how often do you see ANY non doubled 8 string for under, ooooh, a grand (£)?

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    MMM

I really like the idea of having something really original like that. The price is amazing, but the control layout is pretty annoying looking. I would buy it if I had the spare cash laying around.

The most important part to me is that its really original.

4. Add about a dozen more knobs- then the presently goofy-looking ones will blend right in. ;)

5. So...are you thinking of getting it? If I had the money I would buy it in a...well not a heartbeat, but after a little reading and deliberation in this topic, I would buy it.

Something like this will give me a good idea of what a super-multi-stringed bass will play like after having owned it for a while because a *edit* 6 *edit* string bass is more of a basic bass than SMS bass, with 7 being on the fence.

6. Having only gone so far as 5 strings, I look at that neck and wonder, how do you get your hand around it to get your fingers to all the strings? That baby's wide! Must be a different kind of technique for reach in the left hand?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it didn't look like it would neckdive straight to the floor, I might have considered it.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I would be very leery of the seller. Check his feedback.
    I have some very painful experiences of dealing with him.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Hmm... Anyone want to go halves on it? Split the price, and saw the bass into 2 4 strings?

Ugh.

10. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hmm... interesting point.

11. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hmm... interesting point.

12. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I don't get the ppl who build such things... It's supposed to be a bass, not a fretted orchestral harp!!! 6 strings are an absolute (and steady) maximum for me....

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

:bag:

14. Oh yeah, that one is not that bad!
    If I had money, I would come to bid.

Vince

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you've never seen a harp before...

16. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    From the Auction:
    That sentence doesn't even have meaning. On par with every bass? That's not a particularly good thing

17. So....no one wants to discuss the technique of playing one of these "bad babies"?!? Must be quite a reach!

18. It's really not as bad as you think. I have a pretty wide six string, and that seems completely normal to me, not a bit too wide. It would just take some getting used to.

19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I play my bass teacher's Conklin 7-String and it feels right at home! And I play four string!