Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting 8-string on e-bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    looks pretty nice but their control lay out is horrible

2. i would buy that for less than £250! ok, it'll probably go for more, but still, how often do you see ANY non doubled 8 string for under, ooooh, a grand (£)?

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    MMM

I really like the idea of having something really original like that. The price is amazing, but the control layout is pretty annoying looking. I would buy it if I had the spare cash laying around.

The most important part to me is that its really original.

4. Add about a dozen more knobs- then the presently goofy-looking ones will blend right in. ;)

5. So...are you thinking of getting it? If I had the money I would buy it in a...well not a heartbeat, but after a little reading and deliberation in this topic, I would buy it.

Something like this will give me a good idea of what a super-multi-stringed bass will play like after having owned it for a while because a *edit* 6 *edit* string bass is more of a basic bass than SMS bass, with 7 being on the fence.

6. Having only gone so far as 5 strings, I look at that neck and wonder, how do you get your hand around it to get your fingers to all the strings? That baby's wide! Must be a different kind of technique for reach in the left hand?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it didn't look like it would neckdive straight to the floor, I might have considered it.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I would be very leery of the seller. Check his feedback.
    I have some very painful experiences of dealing with him.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Hmm... Anyone want to go halves on it? Split the price, and saw the bass into 2 4 strings?

Ugh.

10. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hmm... interesting point.

11. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hmm... interesting point.

12. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I don't get the ppl who build such things... It's supposed to be a bass, not a fretted orchestral harp!!! 6 strings are an absolute (and steady) maximum for me....

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

:bag:

14. Oh yeah, that one is not that bad!
    If I had money, I would come to bid.

Vince

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you've never seen a harp before...

16. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    From the Auction:
    That sentence doesn't even have meaning. On par with every bass? That's not a particularly good thing

17. So....no one wants to discuss the technique of playing one of these "bad babies"?!? Must be quite a reach!

18. It's really not as bad as you think. I have a pretty wide six string, and that seems completely normal to me, not a bit too wide. It would just take some getting used to.

19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I play my bass teacher's Conklin 7-String and it feels right at home! And I play four string!