Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Info from FCC about Cell Phone providers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jul 16, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    We get a lot of threads here (2 in the last few days) asking which cell phone provider people prefer and whatnot. Today I saw a chart that graphed info obtained from the FCC showing which cell phone providers had the most customer complaints for the year of 2003. And the winner is......

AT&T.

AT&T had four times as many customer complaints as Verizon, the provider who, according to the FCC, had the fewest complaints. These numbers are adjusted for the number of subscribers to each provider.

Sprint was the second worst, T-Mobile was the third worst. The best were Verizon, followed by Nextel and then Cingular.

Here's a link for a PDF file showing the info. The first chart is the one adjusted for subscribership and the second is just the raw numbers of complaints. Hope this helps some of ya'll I know I found it interesting:

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/0511 FCC_Cell_ComplaintsAll3.pdf

One more thing I found interesting is that the FCC is not out there making these numbers available to consumers. Consumers Union had to file a freedom of info act just to get the figures. What the heck is up with that?!

Consumers Union has a website as well dedicated to getting better service, privacy etc...for cell phone customers. It's called www.escapecellhell.org.

brad cook

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great thread, brad!

i hope your little puppy is doing great...

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    NEVER MIND! i didnt read all the way... ignore the following :D i still should complain

Cheers

Is that corvrage/quility only? or is it including customer service factor...i never complained to fcc, maybe i should... cant get a credit card anymore... i geuss its a good thing:/

4. Woohoo, Verizon rocks!!... most of the time. We have verizon, like everything, cellphones, internet, all phones etc. Sometimes the reception isn't perfect, and our home phone line interfereres with the DSL (which, btw, has been working all the time recently), but hey, it's pretty good.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Verizon being best doesn't shock me but T-mobile not being worst does.

Are AT&T and cingular not one company now? Anything AT&T touches seems to turn to crap.

6. Cingular isn't good on the east coast.

But verizon is. I think I'm gonna switch over to verizon from cingular.

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    It won't be long until Cingular is a little bit better on the east coast. They just purchased a large number of towers to help out in North Carolina, Virginia, and Puerto Rico.

AT&T and Cingular aren't one "officially" company yet. The deal still hasn't officially gone through, and isn't expected to until later this year.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    ATT and cingular deal

OK so cingular was highest bidder for att (att was for sale). They bought them and started to intergrade it into the system after FCC aproval. The deal to come through will take em another year plus to get it into one company, according to them it will be gradual and will take some time antil they are one. thats what i got from reading about the whole deal.

shocking huh? I CAN READ, most of you probebly geussed otherwise from reading my posts :D

PS tmobile is by far not the worse...

Cheers

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We know you can read, we just tease a little. :cool:

10. First off: Digme, nice sig. :cool:
    Second: I am probably going with Verizon when my contract is up on my phone I got right now. Thanks for posting the info.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Speak for yourself man..I thought the kid was illiterate.

:bag:

brad cook

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    yes, i know, i do like cakes!

don't hide it, i will get it anyways!

:D

Cheers

13. what does this thread have to do with cakes :confused:

The BMW one I know the reference (cause it was me that brought it up) but here? Maybe it is a joke I don't get. I will get some sleep and see if I get it then.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Me “I CAN READ, most of you probably guessed otherwise from reading my posts”
    Blisshead “We know you can read, we just tease a little”
    DigMe “Speak for yourself man..I thought the kid was illiterate.”
    Me “yes, i know, i do like cakes!”

^^^ See, I am illiterate, I don’t understand what he posted :D

Cake did come from you, for 2 days now I’ve been thinking of nothing but cakes… I WANT A CAKE! Mmmmm cheesecake!!!!!!
    :D

Cheers :D

Cheers