1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting moded vintage fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnnyChatter, Oct 30, 2018.

1. That’s what I figured. Have seen several basses over the years modded by using the guts of pedals. Wingbass sells basses right now with a ehx micro pog built in.

2. Fully dig the ingenuity

Malak the Mad likes this.
  3. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    I think it's cannibalized from an MXR guitar pedal. Great idea but wrong choice, they should have used a unit that started an octave lower.

4. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    You are right on point with that. I noticed after the fact, that was kind of a knee jerk on my part.
    A bass like this would be the one for the amp you have that is loud but "not quite the enough"

5. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I giveyou tree-fiddy.

6. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It is interesting, but how usefull it is ?

7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Not a 70's body.

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Most players like the control harness basic and if wanted use pedals and the amp for more variables/nuance. On-board effects, as you state, effect the signal chain and are usually not as good as a remote version. Gibson, Burns and Vox started the on-board effects (mostly fuzz and tuner pitch) in the early days of "what's possible for a bass guitar". Although there are active basses with mid-sweeps etc - over time, a basic harness is still what most players use.

9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Who'll be the fool tonight? Whoever tries to tune this bass, that's who!

10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yep. I was thinking MXR or Boss GE6. It's certainly MXR.
    Had it been an octave lower, it would be a little better for bass, but there are some pretty useful bands for the mids. I like the idea of this, though. You get some onboard tone manipulation and buffered output.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Makes me gag.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I concur. It's not as elegant as the on-board controls of a Jaguar, but someone put a lot of work into it to integrate it into the overall aesthetics.

Here's my own bit o' perspective…

Let's assume the collective "We" have never seen a Jazz bass before until we came across this one. It may be tough for some, but really try to imagine it. With that in mind, does it appear as if this is the way they've always been made or do the extra controls make it look slap-dash and jerry-rigged?

From my perspective, while the pickguard does look a bit "busy" with all those controls, whomever made the modifications did it well enough that it doesn't look like it was an after-the-fact job, but rather an integral part of that particular model.

HawldieMPB likes this.
  13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    It would be a lot more convenient then having a pedal to trip over, and one less cord to carry. In my case, the EQ section on my amps is more than adequate, and typically, I don’t mess with my EQ much. One it’s set for the gig, there it stays. Interesting concept, however. Is the rocker switch a kill button got the EQ you think?

14. What makes you say that? Just curious? It always blows my mind when people can just look and know. The person who posted has a picture of the neck stamp but nothing on the body.

FranF and HawldieMPB like this.
  15. 6 band, 5 octave, 18db cut and boost. Just another preamp with a few more bands, and sliders instead of knobs. That could be useful for someone who plugs into a PA. If you have a regular gig at a bar or church with no soundman this could be very handy.

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Comes from years of owning, buying, selling and servicing them. The contours aren't round enough. It's a bit more squarish. Hard to describe. ;-) It's very similar to the MIM bodies, which coincidentally, have a color identical to this. Midnight Wine.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    JohnnyChatter likes this.