Interesting Technique....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mjw, Feb 26, 2004.

1. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I realize this is a bass guitar forum, but have a look at this video of a guy playing what looks like a six-string acoustic guitar. A lot of his playing looks like he's playing a bass; ... shredding, raking, tapping, slapping, popping, etc....

I don't play guitar, so I don't know if this is a common guitar technique or not. But check it out and tell me what you think. Personally, I think he plays bass as well. :)

Six-string video
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He definitely uses a lot of bass guitar like techniques. But so do a lot of flamenco guitarists, and even some classical guitarists. A lot of 'bass guitar techniques' came from guitar.
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've seen that somewhere before. To me, that guy is all icing and no cake. You would think he listens to Wooten though, huh?
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    That boy needs a bass!!! That was cool as hell though. I still prefer Regi Wootens style of slap guitar better. :cool:
  5. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    That was really, really cool.
  6. icey

Feb 19, 2004
    His name is Justin King; I think that video is from the end of a promo video for Larrivee guitars - (

He's got some more stuff over on his website - - It looks like he's gotten close to bass-land; in his list of instruments, he lists the Chapman Stick.
  7. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    He's pretty good at guitar isn't he :p ! I like Regi Wootens Guitar Slap to, can't beat the traditional bass slapping though.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I downloaded a couple of songs off of his web site. This guy is amazing!!! Great, now I need to buy some of his stuff. :cool:
  9. arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    seems like there's some bass stuff in there.. i don't thinks he's a low-end guy though: a (good) bassist would sacrifice some of that flashy stuff for more consistent time!
  10. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You thinks that's crazy acoustic guitar technique, you should check out Eric Roche.

He not only slaps and tap, but also taps contrapuntual (?) lines, a la Stu Hamm, and uses the guitar as a drum kit, hitting and scraping various parts of the body to get kick, snare, hi-hat etc sounds.

TBH tho, you really need to see him live to fully comprehend what he's doing.

Check out roundabout, porcupine, and his version of teen spirit
  11. Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    I don't know about everyone else, but show-off or no show-off its good to see someone experimenting with a guitar rather than playing tired, cliche, lead solo style :rolleyes:
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    if you like guitar exploration check out Kaki king, Michael Hedges, muriel anderson, pat metheny, and regi wooten.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Another acoustic guitar player who does all that, and more, is Uwe Kropinski. He does a duo thing with David Friesen playing electric upright bass that's a must see if anyone ever gets the chance. They only play in the US once every few years, I think. Kropinski plays a 41 fret guitar, and has sound chambers and tap plates for different drum sounds. I was lucky enough to hear a recording of these guys shortly before they played in Portland a couple of years ago. That was enough to get me to the show, which was absolutely amazing. Friesen is a great player too.
  14. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That guy was cool... I also listened to Eric Roche, I liked some of his stuff too. :)

15. Looks like he may have gotten some inspiration from Stanley Jordan as well.
  16. IanM

Apr 2, 2004
    :bassist: that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen...what was he doing with his right hand halfway up the neck? :bassist:
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Stuff that is that over the top just doesn't do it for me. I would much rather hear a great bassline or in this case, a well developed song, than purely a display of talent.

He is definitely very talented though, and if he enjoys making music in that fashion then more power to him. I have no right to judge.