1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interlochen Audition Process

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by jbenner913, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jbenner913

jbenner913

Mar 3, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    What are the Interlochen summer auditions like when you arrive in the summer? I'm just curious since I'll probably be going there this summer, and I should probably start preparing for it.
    Thanks!

2. Anonymous08272012

Anonymous08272012 Guest

Aug 28, 2006
    Well, you play a solo and do sight reading. No excerpts for the first audition. Last summer I went, Hurst and Budrow asked to sight read M to the end on Beethoven 9! It was ridiculous. Just be prepared for anything and do awesome on your solo. But remember, the first audition doesn't really define you as a player...just wait until they start auditioning you on excerpts. One more thing, you audition every two weeks now and they give the excerpts a week ahead of time. And the audition is blind. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you up there as I should be getting a job as music librarian...ugh.

3. jbenner913

jbenner913

Mar 3, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    Steve (or anybody else that would like to chime in), Do they pick the solo for you that was on the resume that was sent in, or can you pick for yourself?

Another kind of stupid question... What's the definition of a blind audition?:confused:

Thanks!

4. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    you are required to wear a blindfold to demonstrate your knowledge of the fingerboard.

5. Anonymous08272012

Anonymous08272012 Guest

Aug 28, 2006
    Haha. Exactly. Really though, a blind audition is where the committee does not see who is playing...their back are turned or there is a screen up. And you get to pick whatever solo you want.

6. tlau5

tlau5

Mar 8, 2008
    well its all good stuff, blind auditions are fair and thats all you can say about em.