"Intonation Plus" book question

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by mrgoodbass, Mar 17, 2010.

1. mrgoodbass

mrgoodbass Supporting Member

May 9, 2006
    California
    Does anyone have a different edition than me. On page 63, the three octave bowings #1 and #4 are the same. Probably should be different. Does anyone have a correction for this?

Also, I read somewhere that there was a second part to this book. If anyone has info on this I'd be greatly obliged.

2. I'm at work now, but I'll check for you when I get home tonight--about five hours from now.

3. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    thanks, I appreciate that.

4. I have the 1997 edition of Lew Berryman's Intonation Plus. In mine, Exercise 1 and Exercise 4 on page 63 differ only in articulation.

In Exercise 1 he says he wants you to bow it staccato (He misspelled it). But what he shows in the notation is really portato, i.e., staccato within a slur. (There's a dot above or below each note head.) This is sometimes called "articulated legato." But I'm wondering if perhaps he just used a slur marking to mean he wants you to play it in one bow; he actually says he wants you to do that in his explanatory notes.

In Exercise 4, he says he wants you to bow it appoggiato (He misspelled that one, too.) within the slur. (There's a short horizontal line above or below each note head.) Again, in his notes he says he wants you to play it in one bow.

The explanatory notes are immediately under the exercises. Maybe they got left out of your edition. If you want, I'll quote them to you exactly--misspellings and all--so you can paste them in.

edit: I haven't found anything regarding a second part or volume to Intonation Plus.

5. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    Thanks for your help on this--I guess when you read the explanation below it makes more sense.

6. Hi

Can someone explain what is in this book, how does it work? It a great book, just another one gathering dust to be pulled out occasionally?

I don’t have a bunch of money but it sounds like something I may be interested in.

Thanks

7. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    For upright, it's the best book Ive ever seen for getting from beginner to an intermediate level. It's not a classical book specifically and doesn't get so much into bowing though it does touch on it and helps to clarify so much stuff altogether.

8. Yeah, I think so. But the notation itself is different between Exercise No. 1 and Exercise No. 4. It's just that the horizontal lines he uses with the note heads in Exercise No. 4 are so short they look like the dots with the note heads in Exercise No 1 at first. If your glasses need a little cleaning, they probably look the same.

9. mrgoodbass

May 9, 2006
    California
    my 52 year old eyes aint what they used to be but upon closer inspection-sure enough...

10. My 64-year-old eyes didn't see the difference immediately, either. I think I'll go ahead and lengthen those appoggiato lines with a pencil. There must be other places in the book where that's needed, too. [Edit: There aren't. That one page the only place I could find. -JHC]

11. Lew Berryman's Intonation Plus strikes me as a more modern Simandl, perhaps with more of a jazz emphasis. It takes you through the positions, one at a time, beginning with h.P. (he marks it "H.P.") and providing recommended fingerings. But he also adds a bit of narrative explanation when needed. For example, when shifting from H.P. to I to play a chromatic scale beginning on Bb, he affirmatively states that it's better to shift 1-1 than 2-2 or 4-4. Nice to find that clearly addressed somewhere, when you're starting out.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021