Introducing The Plow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I give you The Plow.

It is a modified 2001 fretless Jazz that I bought in a pawnshop last summer for $200 (with case). I originally had ultra-light strings on it, but I was getting bored of that; and besides, I've never had any real mods done to a bass I've owned. So, before I embarked on my circle-the-continent train trip, I dropped it off at the music shop that I used to teach for. A month later, upon my return, I stop in and get it, with a total of $150 sunk into it.

So for $350 total, I have a pretty unique fretless Jazz.

The mods are:

1. Basslines Humbucker in the neck. I see Fenders with dual-coils in the bridge position all the time, but I think that defeats the purpose of owning a Jazz - the honk comes from the bridge. I never thought the neck pickup sounded great on its own, but with this monster, it fills the room.

2. BEAD tuning. God, I never once thought I'd use this. I'm no metalhead, but the allure of a blooming low B on a fretless monster was too inticing to pass up, at least for a while. Sounds especially awesome with just the new neck pickup.

3. Rewired Volume-Blend-Tone. I never liked Fender's two-volume system, for it is too much work to do a simple pickup change. I found that doing a simple rewire allowed me to cut tone changes from pickup switching in half.

4. New white pearloid pickguard.

I am extremely happy with it. I've heard people say junk about MIMs, but this one is a keeper. Better, by far (even before the mods) than any American Jazz I've played.

Attached Files:

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    And one more pic of the whole body:

EDIT: The camera job totally misses the beautiful midnight wine.

Attached Files:

3. Very nice!! especially for a fender (not a big fan.) how's it sound? (agressive, growly, snarly, warm, smooth...?)
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks good, but people usually mount the MM pickup with the two screws on top, that's my only complaint. Other than that, we need soundclips!

Did you change your bridge to a humbucker? Or you gonna let that bad motha' buzz like it should?
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I noticed that the pickup was mounted "upside-down," so to speak, but it doesn't big me too much. The bridge pickup will stay a single-coil, though I may try and find a replacement that I like (and that matches the output of the MM better).
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It is smooth and huge with the neck pickup, and once the single coil is blended in, it becomes more aggressive. All the way to the bridge, it sounds like a normal Jazz (tuned down a fourth).
  7. patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    "the plow", wow, you really could not have picked a better name! that thing is awsome! :)
  8. Nice bass Eric! Good to hear from you again! (The JMF is just f-d up).

I like that pickup combo.
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    So...would that make you the plow king?

11. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Thats a nice bass you've got there. I may have to try out something like that myself. Are you planning on putting a new bridge in?

I've been wondering if there really is any advantage to the volume-blend-tone setup as opposed to the volume-volume-tone setup.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Homer Simpson: "Mr. Plow, that's my name...
    My name again is Mr. Plow!"

Would go along nicely with Berry Oakley's Tractor.

Very cool bass!
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I might put a Leo Quan BAII in at some point. The stock bridge is pretty weak, and more mass at the anchor point might be a good thing.

I like the blend knob so I don't have to mess around with two knobs to blend pickups - this way, a quarter turn of a knob equals the quarter turn of two knobs. I don't really mess with the volume knob much (dynamic control comes from the hands with me), so it makes more sense.
  14. Awesome mods done to that Eric! I want to hear the beast! Good to hear from you again too, we haven't talked in ages.
  15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    We go into the studio at the end of this month to re-record four of the five songs from our last demo and four new ones ... and maybe some surprises. This will be the only bass I use.
  16. Sweet. I can't wait to hear them all :)
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wow, that looks like a killer combo. You should get some vintage Jazz knobs so that they all match, though. ;)
  18. Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
  19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I was thinking of some stainless knobs, to match the control plate.