1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

iPod into Markbass LMII?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassflyer13, Oct 31, 2010.

1. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Nov 4, 2008
    Just scored a Little Mark II off a fellow TB'er. :hyper:

I'm hoping once it arrives I can ditch my small practice combo, but one thing the combo has that the LMII does not is stereo input for iPod, etc., so I can play along.

Unfortunately, I'm not supersmart in the electronics department. Can anyone tell me if I can pipe my iPod into the LMII and play along, via the XLR in, using a 1/8" stereo-to-male XLR cable like this?

The Markbass manual says: "The Balanced Input accepts a balanced XLR input, allowing the head to accommodate for all kinds of acoustic bass pickup systems. You can also use this input to plug in a microphone--even while you play your bass through the 1/4" input."
    Which leads me to believe it will accept signals from both inputs simultaneously (iPod and bass). And I figure I can use the iPod's volume control to balance volume between the two. I just don't want to fry something (especially the LMII).

I figure some wise, savvy TB'er will know.
    Thanks!

2. The output from an Ipod is stereo, the input to the MB is mono balanced. They are completely different and incompatible.

Ipod: You need to mix the left and right signals and also reduce the signal level. You cannot just short the two signals together as that could damage the unit.

I would suggest a micro mixer and plug its output into the Fx return of the LM. This would enable you to mix the signals appropriately into your amp but also allow you to use a pair of headphones for silent practice without the amp and cabinet.

3. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Nov 4, 2008
    The description for the Hosa cable says: Connects the stereo output of portable CD player, Walkman, camcorder, etc., to a single XLR line input on a mixing console. Sums left and right stereo signals to a single mono feed.
    Doesn't that mean the cable converts the stereo signal to mono?

What is the signal level of an iPod, and what is the signal level of a mic?

Headphone practice I got covered, with a Cafe Walter. I'd just like to play an iPod and my bass through the cab, if that's possible.

Thanks for the help. Sorry I'm so lame with this stuff.

4. I've done it with mine; no problems, so far at least.

5. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Nov 4, 2008
    Awesome!

So you just use one of those 1/8" stereo-to-mono XLR cables, like I'd linked to in my original post, and feed your iPod into the Little Mark II?

If that's true, that's the best news I've heard all day.

Thanks!

6. Yep, I do it to. If you want to play along you have to plug the xlr cable into the effects-return on the back. I do it all the time. Of course, it means that the EQ will affect the sound coming from the mp3 player but if you run it close to flat you should be OK.

7. Is it safe to do this?! Which exact cable do I need?

8. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Nov 4, 2008
    You're doing it a different way than I was planning on--I was gonna pipe the iPod in using the XLR In on the front panel. But your cable's cheaper. And you can run the iPod into the Effects In on the back, with your bass plugged into Input in front, and hear both at once? :eyebrow:

Excellent! :hyper:

9. Yep :)!

10. Yes

11. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Nov 4, 2008
    Excellent!

So if I use your XLR In front panel in method, plus Kwesi's 1/4" rear panel Effects In system, I could have two iPods going at once, to play along with. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like I've got options. If this works out, I'll be able to ditch my practice amp to help defray what I just spent getting the Little Mark II. Outstanding! :hyper:

12. I dont know the exact name of the adaptor i bought at raidio shack for about 5 bucks but i works like a charm. It has a 1/4 plug on one side and a red and white female rca on the other. You need a 1/8 cable with the red and white rca jacks on the other end.

Just plug the 1/8 side to your ipod and the red and white rca side to the adaptor and stick it in your effect return. Hope that makes since. It will cost you about $10. The rca/1/4 adaptor makes the mono signal stereo so you can hear all the music. And yes you can play your bass along with it.

13. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Anyone actually contact Markbass support on this one?