Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is an alder wood bass neck ok?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gaffster, Feb 17, 2006.

1. gaffster

gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    florida
    gotta question for the bass builders.
    i bought an alder neck with a rosewood board for a p-bass.
    i notice that the vast majority of bass necks are maple. Will the alder neck hold-up and stay in tune?
    gratzie

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm not a luthier but I do know alder is a really soft wood so it probably won't be strong enough for a neck unless you add a bunch of graphite reinforcements to it. I've heard that ash is strong enough for necks, though, but I can only think of one bass with an ash neck that I've come across online.

3. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I dont know if they still do it, but the Modulus genesis has an alder neck. I think it has quite a bit of graphite reinforcement though.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    My Carvin LB75-F has a two-piece alder neck. It's stable and I like what it does for tonal flexibility with a fretless in conjunction with an ebony board - ie, by hand technique and pickup choice I can sound a lot brighter and like I have a fretted, or get down to the big mwah, or get a dark upright-like attack and decay.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Who made the neck?