Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it common knowledge that....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inthepocket, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Inthepocket

Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    ...The horns in SWR's are a hissy heaps of crap?!

.......Or is it just that im really fargin unlucky and got dudded, not once, but twice.....

2. get dudded once, shame on them

get dudded twice, shame on you
    :p

3. Inthepocket

Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    dude, they were fiiine when i got them! 6months down the track and they're farged.....ah well, i dont use the horns anyway, but it still sh!ts me!

but yup, shame on me .....i wont be buying anything from that soul'd-out toy company again, thats for sure.....:smug:

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    SWR uses the same Foster (Fostex) horns that most of the industry does...in fact they started the whole trend.

Hissy? Nope, the AMP is hissy or maybe the BASS is hissy or maybe your EFFECTS are hissy :meh:

The tweeter only reproduces the hiss that is in the signal. Back when bass amps had no signal above 3KHz, noone bothered to curb hiss and other high end noise because the speakers wouldn't reproduce it anyway.

Don't like the hiss?

1. Get a quieter bass and/or amp.

2. Turn down the treble EQ

3, Turn off the tweeter

Feel better now?
    :p

BTW, if the horns sound like crap now but were OK when new, you probably clipped your amp and blew them.

5. Inthepocket

Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    Hissy was an understatement ....im talking about a bone rattling distorted mess ...aka - blown..

And considering im mainly playing jazz, its not as though im driving them too hard....

ahh well .....maybe i did clip them, but if i did, they must be disappointingly weak...

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Or you are just playing too loud through a hissy amp.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, if you have the tweeter all the way up i'm pretty sure it will his no matter what... But either turn it down, or of orr whatever, and turn the treble and mids down a little bit...
    Treble and tweeter hiss suck.

8. Sounds like you have been clipping your power amp for... ever!

Really, the only reason tweeters blow is too much power, and a clipping power amp is likely to blow ANY kind of tweeter, except maybe a piezo.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, probably... If it's a solid state amp I hear clipping is just a plain no-go...

10. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    it kinda don't matter.

Clipping is clipping is extra harmonics and they all go to the tweeter (almost).

The amount of difference from tube and SS is pretty small if its THAT clipped......

Maybe they didn't have any protection on the tweeter against crazy amounts of power....

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I don't know, i'm just going by what I have heard on all of the Tube vs. Solid State threads...