1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it considered bad technique to clank?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I prefer corn, it's tastier.

Sartori likes this.
  2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Playing Punk Rock fingerstyle I use a lot of clank. Thank heaven clank exists.

Sartori likes this.
  3. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    He is the bass player from Korn.
    I think of Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, or Geddy Lee when I think of "clank", but you be the judge.

4. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    You are missing out. That cartoon was super funny, although many of the jokes would go over the heads of non-metal people. Think of it as an updated version of Spinal Tap.

BassmanMetzger56 and Sartori like this.
  5. Based on most of the isolated bass tracks I hear, clank is far more common than most of us realize.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Sartori, tbz and Mechanical like this.
  6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I love clank, like one big $%#@&(*^ angry piano please.

Sartori likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No effect or stylization can be considered "bad" if you're doing it intentionally - and you can control it.

Sometimes intentional "mistakes" can make a song.

(For the record, I don't care at all for clanking. But saying it's not my cuppa isn't the same thing as calling it poor technique. Something worth keeping in mind. Because half the arguments that break out here come down to differences in opinion over personal playing styles rather than actual substance.) :thumbsup::)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Sartori and Basshappi like this.
  8. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    I hope not...I love to clank! :bassist:
    Brent

Sartori likes this.
  9. ctpunk

ctpunk

Jan 30, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If it is bad technique, then I am one bad motherf$!*#%

BrentSimons, Sartori and zoonose like this.
  10. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    I think clank is hard to avoid if you have a less-than-light touch (like me), but also difficult to make it sound good.

If you can make is sound good, I'm all for exploiting it. Paul D'Amour?

Sartori likes this.
  11. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Clank is 100% essential to my tone.

Sartori likes this.
  12. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I cringe sometimes listening to old recordings of mine, when I clanked like crazy. Not as an intentional thing, but just because I was really getting into it and playing way too hard. It was certainly bad technique for me at that point.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. ficelles

ficelles Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    My bass won't clank. Do I need those metal stripey bits down the long wooden part?

14. Robert Sperling

Robert Sperling Crazybassman72 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Chris didn't clank much at all, as he was primarily a pick player, Geddy used to clank a lot more,
    but since he started using his 1 finger plucking method it seems a bit tighter and more controlled
    IMHO

15. My two bits: clank can be a technique but more than likely its a result of bad habits starting in lazy practice. Ive noticed as ive gotten older that posture in both hands is so important to articulating tone and dynamics, but I never paid attention to either as a teenager. Ive since started using a limiter that smooths out a lot of the rough edges in my playing style. But developing a more controlled right hand is still essential to getting the best sound. And that goes for deliberate clanking too!

Look at the best agro bassists and you'll see that they all know when to let the thunder roll and when to hide behind the rhythm guitar player.

Tl;dr get a man that can do both!

16. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I like much of what I hear from Geddy Lee and Chris Squire, so I can see where clank could be used to good effect.

However, my tone goals, at this point, are for precision and good clean note formation; hence, clank for me is a sign that I'm pushing myself beyond my skill level and it's something that I avoid.

Sartori likes this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Clank good ...

18. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist for Michael "Epic Mic" Rowe

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I prefer grindy pick tone to clank, but that's just my taste. With anything you'd want to be consistent (clank with each hit, and not every now and then, that comes off as bad technique).

Sartori likes this.
  19. It is only bad technique if it hurts your fingers.

20. zoonose

zoonose

Apr 4, 2005
    Long Beach, MS
    They sure do help!